Uploading Text Resources

I need to do a template where the user selects a name and based on the name, the user's photo and bio needs to populate the template.

When I prepared the Fusion Pro template, I used a switch rule for the graphic and one for the text. I uploaded the images as graphic resources and the bio's as text resources. Everything worked beautifully in Fusion Pro when I composed and collected everything.

When it came time to upload the template to MarcomCentral, I uploaded the images to the images tab of the template. However I can't figure out where to upload the text files. I know it must be something simple I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Crineman,

The way you are doing it, you can't. The way you could do it, is using Profile Attributes. Profile Attributes allows you to use either single-line (string of text) or multi-line (paragraph) text content. The attribute is associated to the user and can be set as locked or unlocked. The unlocked variety allows the user to edit the content.

Profile Attributes may also be used with images, so your portrait can also be returned this way. Please refer to the How-To videos section in Marcom or review the Help for more details.

Hope this helps

It's not using the text resource. You can use the Text Profile Attribute (TPA) to point to a text resource, but it will still not be editable. The only way to make it editable is to input the content from your text resource into the User Assignment spreadsheet for the Multi-Line TPA and set it as unlocked.

• 4 years later...
Richard, I'm having similar issues. I have created a FP PDF, and uploaded it to the Marcom template, making sure I collected it with the Text Resources box checked. Now I'm in the template, but I am not easily seeing now to get those resources linked to the template. I have 6 text resources, and I want to make it optional to the user to print one of those or leave it blank. So, my first question is what is the Field Type I need to select, and then do I need to add each text resource to a library? I have the rules set up in the FP PDF, so I think it's all good on that end. Thanks!

jprothero,

You cannot use external text resources in MarcomCentral. You can either use formatted text resources built in FusionPro (although you will need to change and re-upload the template each time you want to make a change); or an external data file (XDF). You would have a field that specifies the text block in the XDF, then in the rule specify the paragraph formatting for the text.

jYou cannot use external text resources in MarcomCentral. You can either use formatted text resources built in FusionPro (although you will need to change and re-upload the template each time you want to make a change); or an external data file (XDF). You would have a field that specifies the text block in the XDF, then in the rule specify the paragraph formatting for the text.

Actually, I have to differ with my colleague here. If you upload your text resource in the same way that you upload an XDF, then it should work, without any changes to your rules. From FusionPro's perspective, as long as a file is in the search path, and can be used in a call to ExternalDataFileEx, it will be found in a call to CreateResource as well.