6 Versions

Select

Do you know the rule that applies when you have 5 different letters and 1 mailing list: This is what I'm doing and for some reason it is not working. Please help!

The letter is 2 sided and the address panel is on page 2 (on the back).

If you go to the FP menu you can go into the Manage Pages dialog and set all the pages to unused. Further, you should name each version in this section to match the contents of the field "Letter", appending "-front" and "-back" to appropriate pages.

Next you would add code to a "Callback" rule -- specifically an "OnRecordStart" rule which you will see as one of several callback rule choices in the Rules dialog. The only code you will need (*if the naming of your pages exactly matches the naming in the associated field*) is:

Code:

---------

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Letter") + "-front",true);

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Letter") + "-back",true);

---------

Save the OnRecordStart rule and set the rest of your job up as usual including mailing panel data, etc. You can copy & paste your mailing data on to each of the other 5 versions once you have the first version set up as you like.

Rule for front and back graphic.

return CreateResource(Field("version").replace(/(\.[^.]*)$/, "-back$1"));

return CreateResource(Field("version").replace(/(\.[^.]*)$/, "-front$1"));

Version is my input data field.

So let's say my graphic input is sunset.pdf and moonlight.pdf. I have a folder that I'm pointing to that has the following in it:

sunset_front.pdf

sunset_back.pdf

moonlight_front.pdf

moonlight_back.pdf

I have this automated from Acrobat to "split" the original .pdf to just have 1st page and put _front.pdf on it and 2nd page and put _back.pdf to the name.

.6 in steps or the Compose Template, under the advanced tab, you put where the "artwork" resides. Might have to put \\ instead of \

Ex: R:\DATA and PRE-SORT ONLY\Client\Weekly Mailings\ART

Am I close?:o

No it's not graphics, variable data (presorted mailing list) it's 5 different letters for which there is an account number on the front (page 1) and the address is on back (page 2). Each name on the mailing list will get either Letter A, B, C, D or E and their 4 digit account number in the body of the letter.

Ahh..... variable inside of each of the letters.

Does the account number for each letter fall in completely different areas?

I'm trying to see if you can set each letter up as a graphic callout or formatted text and then if there was a "common" area(say a paragraph) that each letter had where the account should go you could have a variable within a variable.

ex:

Static body text OR entire letter

5 formatted text resources, each would then have the "account" variable placed in at the exact location that it needs to fall in the letter.

<version A paragraph text <account number> version A paragraph text ending>

<version B paragraph text <account number> version B paragraph text ending>

<version C paragraph text <account number> version C paragraph text ending>

<version D paragraph text <account number> version D paragraph text ending>

<version E paragraph text <account number> version E paragraph text ending>

The rest of your variables would be separate text boxes with the PRESORTED information or account numbers in them by themselves.

From what I read in OP, everything looks correct from a coding standpoint (although I typically assign a variable to the name of my body pages and then use the variable name in my SetBodyPage() function).

Is it safe to assume the contents of Field("Letter") are either "A", "B", "C", "D", or "E"? If so, I further assume your body pages are named (case sensitive) A-front, A-back, B-front, B-back, etc? If so, your previous solution should work regardless of the variable frames you have on the associated "true" pages. If it's not working, can you give us an idea of what is happening?

This is the rule I have in place.

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Acct") + "-front",true);

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Acct") + "-back",false);

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Letter") + "-front",true);

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(Field("Letter") + "-back",true);

What is happening is it is not recognizing any of the data. When I view Letter A, or Letter B, etc... nothing shows up in the variable data boxes. :confused:

Why are you using two fields to set page usage? Seems like that would cause a conflict. And you still haven't confirmed that a page is named "LetterA-front" and Field("Letter") contains "LetterA" for the SetBodyPage() code to work. Could you upload a generic template and data file for review?

try changing your onRecordStart rule to this

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("Letter "+Field("Letter")+"-front",true);
FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("Letter "+Field("Letter") + "-back",true);

That should give you the pages you want to print. Leave all of the pages to unused.

Archived