Word Merge Templates

saml

Currently we have a client that uses about 400 Word Merge templates and pulls the templates according to the Letter Id field in the Mail Manager data. Each template creates 1 pdf according to how many records are associated with that template, which leaves us with multiple pdfs. What I would like to do is use Fusion Pro to create a template that will create 1 pdf in the Mail Manager sort order. I've tried creating Text Resources that will switch according to the Letter Id but there are too many elements in the Word templates be accommodated as a Formatted Text Resource. Another thought was to create Body pages and turn them on and off according to the Letter ID but I don't believe that would work because of the layers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Let me rephrase this. Is the any way to bring a Word doc into FusionPro and keep it editable?

Yes. Open the Resources dialog (either click "Create Resources" on the Steps palette or the FusionPro toolbar, or from the menu select FusionPro -> Data Definition -> Input Options -> Edit Resources). Click "Add." In the Resource Editor, change the "Type" drop-down to "Formatted Text," then click "Edit." Copy-and-paste the contents of the Word document into the Variable Text Editor. Click "OK" a few times to save.

Thanks Dan

I can do it for body text but any other elements, such as a tinted inset text box require a new text resource or graphic resource as they can't be copied from Word as a composite. Ultimately I would like to rebuild the template library in Fusion Pro. Maybe another approach?

-Sam

Thanks Dan

I can do it for body text but any other elements, such as a tinted inset text box require a new text resource or graphic resource as they can't be copied from Word as a composite. Ultimately I would like to rebuild the template library in Fusion Pro. Maybe another approach?

Well, FusionPro doesn't duplicate every feature of MS Word, so it depends on what elements you're trying to bring into FusionPro. You might want to try removing the text from the Word document, leaving just the static elements, and printing that to PDF, then using that as your FusionPro template (background).

My problem is that some of the static items need to text wrap, so I don't think its going to happen with FP. Is there a way to call up layers that will carry the insets with the text wrap and affect the Formatted Text resource?

My problem is that some of the static items need to text wrap, so I don't think its going to happen with FP. Is there a way to call up layers that will carry the insets with the text wrap and affect the Formatted Text resource?

Sorry, I'm not quite following. Maybe you could post an example?

Dan, the formatted text works fine but I have inset text boxes and images that have a run around on them and can't be added as formatted text. If there is a way to attach an image I will send you an image of one of the templates.

Dan, the formatted text works fine but I have inset text boxes and images that have a run around on them and can't be added as formatted text. If there is a way to attach an image I will send you an image of one of the templates.

Click the "Go Advanced" button under the text entry box here on the forum page. Then click the little paper clip "Attachments" icon.

Hello saml,

Took a look at your example. Here's a process I would follow to make this into a FusionPro template (also see attached mockup to help illustrate this).

1) Make a copy of your Word doc as a new Word file.

2) In your copy, delete all the text that has any variables in it leaving just the static text in the doc. In this example, that would be everything except the text in the gray box.

3) Create a PDF of this document. This will be the static background for your document.

4) In Acrobat w/ FusionPro, run through the Data Definition Wizard - step 1 in the FusionPro workflow. Associate your data file to the template. After completing this process, save your PDF template.

5) Now on your template, you want to draw variable text frames with the FusionPro plug-in for all the areas that will contain variable text. I see that you might want to wrap the body text around the static text in the gray box. For starters, draw this frame large enough to encompass the area of the letter plus the area below the gray box where you want text to go.

6) Now to get the text to wrap around the gray box, draw another text frame over the gray box. Make sure the text wrap option is on for this frame. Also, make sure this frame is on TOP of the other frame (FusionPro -> Layers -> Bring Frame to Front).

7) Now, you want to get the text in your text frames that was in the Word document. Go to the original Word doc (not the one you deleted the text frame) and copy all the text for a given area (for example, the body text vs. the address text). Go into FusionPro, open the appropriate frame, and paste the text in that frame.

8) Save your PDF template. I would then check on the progress of the template build by going to preview mode in FusionPro.

Hope these steps all make sense, saml. If you need any assistance, please let us know.

Thanks.

Picture2-mh.thumb.jpg.136cc86bfc19d77082794ac612457e4b.jpg

Thanks Mark, I think the bigger issue is that there are 300-400 templates with different layouts and Word objects such as images or text insets. We will have up to 500000 records and would like to merge according to the Mail Manager sequence number keeping the sort order or sequence number instead of merging by template id. I have done it with up to 20 templates as Formatted Text resources but those images and additional text are killing me.

I guess I'm looking for a way to use a switch rule pulling formatted text resources, but I'm limited as to what can be done when it comes to the Word images and extra text insets. I starting to believe this my get too complex if I can't call for 1 resource file per record.

-Sam

Sorry about not getting back.

I don't know what a different view would add they are all have the same fields just different info and graphics. The issue is bringing in a formatted text resources and applying a graphic or a text box with wrap around according to my field "Letter ID". The Formatted text works fine and works well with the switch rule, I just don't believe it would be worth the effort to create a new rule for each graphic or text box. It will work fine for 1 or 2 reformatted templates but not for hundreds. I wish there was more support for Word docs as this is the format we receive all the time and they are pain converting these over to FusionPro.

-Sam

Archived