Line Break Showing up as <P> inline text

mstanton

I'm setting up a variable data Christmas card. There are two fields on the inside, Message and Signature. Both are multi-line fields. I am having a problem with the Message field: When I type in a customized message and hit return to start a new line, it shows up as one line, with <P> instead of the return. For example, if I type in:

Merry Christmas

and Happy New Year

it shows up as:

Merry Christmas<P>and Happy New Year
There are two differences between the Message and Signature fields.

(1)The fonts. I tested this by making them the same font as the Message field and had the same results. <P> was still appearing instead of a line break in the Message field, but the Signature field still worked just fine. (2)There is a rule applied to the Message field, and no rule applied to Signature.

The rule applied to the Message field is:

if (Field("Body") == "M1") {
   return Resource("Message01");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "M2") {
   return Resource("Message02");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "M3") {
   return Resource("Message03");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "Blank") {
   return "";
   }
else return Field("Message")

Message01, 02 and 03 are formatted text resources which are other messages the user can choose instead of typing in their own. These resources show up just fine and don't have the <P> problem when I choose them instead of typing in a custom message.

Does anyone know what is happening and what I can do to fix it?

When I type in a customized message and hit return to start a new line

Where exactly are you doing this typing? Is it in the Variable Text Editor in FusionPro Desktop, or somewhere else?

The rule applied to the Message field is:

if (Field("Body") == "M1") {
   return Resource("Message01");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "M2") {
   return Resource("Message02");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "M3") {
   return Resource("Message03");
   }
else if (Field("Body") == "Blank") {
   return "";
   }
else return Field("Message")

Does anyone know what is happening and what I can do to fix it?

You need to check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box in the Rule Editor dialog.

Thanks! That worked.

Where exactly are you doing this typing? Is it in the Variable Text Editor in FusionPro Desktop, or somewhere else?

After I "Collect for Output" I upload the zip file to the EFI DSF4.0 server, and that's where I test the product to see if everything works. If it works, I make the product 'visible' to the public on our storefront. If not, back to the drawing board and I do it all again. It would be really nice if there were a good way to test how the fields work without having to upload it to the DSF server first. It takes a long time.

Archived