Rule Question.

Fletch

I'm inserting a variable into a static letter. The variable is the Salutation. It will go after the static word 'Dear'. There's is a field in my customers data file for 'Salutation', but only some of the records have data in that field. Most are blank. There is another field for 'First Name'. I need to create a rule that will use the 'Salutation' field only, unless blank, then it would use the 'First Name' instead. Is this possible?

Easy peazy.

return (Field("Salutation") != "") ? "Dear " + Field("Salutation") : "Dear " + Field("First Name");

Of course, if some records contain nothing in either field, you would need to alter the code to account for a third, generic option...

basically i have a CSv with firstname1 and firstname2 fields, and need to return "Dear firstname1 & firstname2,"

if there is no firstname2 the return

dear firstname,

return "Dear " + Field("firstname1") + (Field("firstname2") ? " & " + Field("firstname2") : "");

Bummer the client has just changed the data and the rule now need to be more complex, but i cant get it right.

the data base has 2 firstname and 2 lastname columns

so if there is just one first name , return firstname + lastname

if there is firstname + firstname2 but no lastname2 - return firstname + & + firstname2 +lastname,

if firstnname, lastname, firstname2 lastname 2, return firstname + lastname + & + firstname2 + lastname2,

any suggestions???

I finally figured it out!!

if (Field("Name1") && Field("Name2")&& Field("Lastname2"))
 return "Dear " + Field("Name1") + " " + Field("Lastname") + " & " + Field("Name2") + " " + Field("Lastname2") + ",";
else
if (Field("Name1") && Field("Name2") || Field("Lastname2" ))
 return "Dear " + Field("Name1") + " & " + Field("Name2") +  " " + Field("Lastname") + ",";
else 
return "Dear " + Field("Name1") + " " + Field("Lastname") + ",";

Archived