Repeating Records and Adding a Slipsheet In Between

KatieB

I have a notepad file, where I want a total of 5 personalized notepads per person, each pad containing 25 pages. I went to use the Repeat Records rule so when I compose, it will compose all 125 pages needed for each person. The only thing is, we need to add in a slipsheet in between each notepad so our Production Team can easily see where a single notepad ends, and a new notepad starts. (so after every 25 pages there is a slipsheet)

I was trying to make it, so it all ran in scripts without having to duplicate the layout 24 times, have a slipsheet page at the end and then have a Repeat Records Rule in place. Mainly so in the future, if some pads have a different quantity of pages, we do not have to add more work into the file.

When I go to compose the job, there is a slipsheet after every page.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Hi Katie, if we want to have the system handle the page count coming from the data then I think you need an OnRecordStart that looks like this:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = Field("PageCount");

if (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber == Field("PageCount"))
  FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("Slipsheet", true);

This assumes the job has a field called PageCount with how many pages to have and there is a page called Slipsheet that is unused and after the notepad page definition. (So you'll have 2 pages in your PDF template - the notepad page and a Slipsheet page that is marked as unused.) This slip sheet will be turned on at the last page of the notepad, so it should be after the notepad page.

Does that help?

If you are willing to post your OnRecordStart rule I'll take a look. Or you could email the template to FusionProSupport@marcom.com (just the template PDF - we don't need the data file.) Let them know Doug asked you to send it and they'll get it to me. I'll take a look and we'll hammer this out.

Also, make sure that the slipsheet page is marked as unused:

image.png.d53e25bbfaec2992f93407d994803078.png

Dan Korn
This post was recognized by Dan Korn!

"Great answer!"

sschardan was awarded 20 points.

This is what I do for this situation:

Create a pg. 1 with a design that bleeds past the trim so it can be seen from the edge when cut, like this:

image.thumb.png.6eefc54652a43cc7d8f8c24d3ef57c90.png

I put pertinent info on that page to make it easy for the finishers. I name it "divider" and set it to be unused.

I then have this for OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 125

if (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber % 25 == 1)

{FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("divider", true)}

and this text rule for my Pad # that prints on the divider page:

return Int(FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber/25) + 1

The Modulus (%) is the remainder from dividing the repeated record number by 25. So when the repeat record number is 1, the remainder is also 1, and the divider page prints as the first page of a set of 25.

Hope this helps.

This helps a lot! If the pad count changes per person, and there is a variable field that states how many pads the person receives, that would change the amount of repeats we would need. How could I write the script to accommodate that?

I would have a field that says:

-Number of Pages

-Total Pads

-Final Page Count