suppress text wrap on graphic frame if empty

You can't directly determine when a text frame is empty, but, in OnRecordStart, you can test whether whatever field or rule you're inserting into the frame is empty, and if so, turn off text wrap.

Something like:

if (!Field("YourFieldName"))
    FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").textWrap = false;

Or, more succinctly:

FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").textWrap = !!Field("YourFieldName");

Hi Rick, you mean, don't wrap text around a picture if the graphic frame is empty, right?

To do this, first give the text frame a name such as "TheTextFrame" in the frame properties dialog box.

Then make a new OnRecordStart rule (or add to one if you have one.)

if (Len(Field("TheGraphic")) == 0)
{
  TextFrame = FindTextFrame("TheTextFrame");
  TextFrame.textWrap.textWrap =false;
}

Replace "TheGraphic" with the name of the field that if empty triggers the text to not wrap. Let me know if this works.

3 minutes ago, Dan Korn said:

You can't directly determine when a text frame is empty, but, in OnRecordStart, you can test whether whatever field or rule you're inserting into the frame is empty, and if so, turn off text wrap.

Something like:

if (!Field("YourFieldName"))
    FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").textWrap = false;

Or, more succinctly:

FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").textWrap = !!Field("YourFieldName");

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

4 minutes ago, Douglas Cogan said:

Hi Rick, you mean, don't wrap text around a picture if the graphic frame is empty, right?

To do this, first give the text frame a name such as "TheTextFrame" in the frame properties dialog box.

{
  TextFrame.textWrap.textWrap =false;
}

Replace "TheGraphic" with the name of the field that if empty triggers the text to not wrap. Let me know if this works.

Great! Thank you, I'll give it a shot!

3 hours ago, Douglas Cogan said:

{
  TextFrame.textWrap=false;
}

So yes, text needs to wrap around a graphic frame which I given it a resource file. This code works perfectly with a text wrap but not a graphic frame wrap.

Hi Rick, sorry that didn't work. I did see a typo where I put .textWrap twice in my note above.

I don't quite know what you mean that it doesn't work with a graphic frame wrap. What can we use to determine if the graphic frame would be empty? That's what I was putting in the "if" statement above.  What data values can we test to determine the frame would end up empty? We just need to put that in the if clause of the expression in OnRecordStart and we're set.