Internal page links stripped during composition on Marcom

Stack

We have a client that has a download-only, low-res, read-only PDF booklet that includes links that point to pages within the booklet. There's also a couple simple text variables on the inner cover and back cover. The links continue to function after adding the text variables, and they also continue to function on the FusionPro template PDF that's created during collection. Once the template is uploaded and on the store however, the links no longer work on the custom PDF file output by Marcom. Weirdly, the cursor recognizes that there's a link when you hover over it, but clicking it doesn't do anything. Oh, and to clarify, the links are not text links but rather an invisible box. I forget the term offhand but the client creates the booklets and the links in InDesign before outputting the PDF they provide to us.

Is there a way either on Marcom or in FusionPro to keep these links functioning properly?

It should carry over links if you check the "Preserve Annotations" box on the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings.

If it's working locally in FusionPro but not in the online composition in MarcomPortal, then it's probably an issue with the downsampled PDF background created when uploading the template. I would check with your Marcom support person (CPM).

I actually didn't do the Composition step earlier, I just went straight to Collect. However I just now did the Composition step and made sure "Preserve Annotations" was selected as you noted, but the links did not function in the output PDF. Like earlier, if you hover over the areas, the cursor does change but it doesn't do anything when you click.

I actually didn't do the Composition step earlier, I just went straight to Collect. However I just now did the Composition step and made sure "Preserve Annotations" was selected as you noted, but the links did not function in the output PDF. Like earlier, if you hover over the areas, the cursor does change but it doesn't do anything when you click.

This is with the local composition from Acrobat? I would post the job here, or send it to Support, so that we can take a look at it.

• 1 month later...
This is with the local composition from Acrobat? I would post the job here, or send it to Support, so that we can take a look at it.

Hi Dan, just wondering if you've had a chance to look over these files. I for whatever reason can't get signed in to the Support site so I haven't been able to send the files to Support.

Yes, sorry for not responding sooner.

The problem is that Advanced Compression seems to be stripping out the links. If you change the setting "Optimize (Compress) PDF" on the Output tab of the Composition Settings dialog, either by changing the drop-down to Basic or un-checking the box, then the links will work correctly in the output (at least in a local FP Creator composition in Acrobat).

The Advanced Compression can sometimes be a bit over-aggressive in stripping things out of the PDF for size, so we recommend checking output with this setting enabled.

Also, this kind of interactive, or "digital delivery," feature makes sense only in one-record output PDFs, not multi-record PDFs that you would use for printing. So you'll want to also check the "Output to multiple files" box and set the number of records to 1.

Yes, sorry for not responding sooner.

The problem is that Advanced Compression seems to be stripping out the links. If you change the setting "Optimize (Compress) PDF" on the Output tab of the Composition Settings dialog, either by changing the drop-down to Basic or un-checking the box, then the links will work correctly in the output (at least in a local FP Creator composition in Acrobat).

The Advanced Compression can sometimes be a bit over-aggressive in stripping things out of the PDF for size, so we recommend checking output with this setting enabled.

Also, this kind of interactive, or "digital delivery," feature makes sense only in one-record output PDFs, not multi-record PDFs that you would use for printing. So you'll want to also check the "Output to multiple files" box and set the number of records to 1.

No problem Dan, thanks!

I tried all the settings you suggested and can confirm that the links do work when I view on the desktop. That includes the PDF file that is output when I collect. However, something is happening when the files are uploaded to Marcom because all the links are still being stripped out. I changed a few settings on the Proof/Press Settings tab (specifically turning on "Support Accessibility") but that didn't fix it. I'm at a loss, not sure what else I can try.

No problem Dan, thanks!

I tried all the settings you suggested and can confirm that the links do work when I view on the desktop. That includes the PDF file that is output when I collect. However, something is happening when the files are uploaded to Marcom because all the links are still being stripped out. I changed a few settings on the Proof/Press Settings tab (specifically turning on "Support Accessibility") but that didn't fix it. I'm at a loss, not sure what else I can try.

Well, at this point, this is a question for someone in MarcomPortal Support, preferably your CPM/BRM or point person. I suspect that the PDF template is being downsampled for online previews, which is stripping out the links before the FusionPro composition. If it's a proof composition, I expect it to work, but there may be something else that the MarcomPortal app is doing to the job settings. At any rate, you'll need to go through the channels, and the job might come back to me or someone else on the FP team, but I can't access it directly.

Well, at this point, this is a question for someone in MarcomPortal Support, preferably your CPM/BRM or point person. I suspect that the PDF template is being downsampled for online previews, which is stripping out the links before the FusionPro composition. If it's a proof composition, I expect it to work, but there may be something else that the MarcomPortal app is doing to the job settings. At any rate, you'll need to go through the channels, and the job might come back to me or someone else on the FP team, but I can't access it directly.

Gotcha. Thanks for your help!