Insert Page Break Between Sections While Imposing

bharris

I have a large database consisting of 150 sections. Each section contains 800 records and is denoted by the word "NEW" in the "Section" column. I have to impose this onto die-cut label stock which is 18-up. I also have to provide a separate PDF for each section. Since 18 will not divide into 800 evenly, I need to be able to tell the composer to start a new page when a "NEW" section starts. Breaking the database into 150 individual databases that must be individually composed seems like a ponderously wrong way to go about it. Surely there must be an easier way. Any suggestions?

When you go to compose, can you see if the "output" tab would work for you? Down below it should say output to multiple files. check that, tell it to be (number you need it to break)per file, and un-check the "different numbers in file" below.

Not sure if that is what you are asking for though or if it will solve it.

Each batch would be exactly where you wanted it started and stopped at or breaking points. For production, would they still need a "blank" page if you are still keeping each of the batches separate? This would create 150 files that would have to be ripped 150 times. This is a downfall on my suggestion and would tick-off your press guy or whomever has to RIP the files.

That doesn't work. It's what I tried initially, but was given the message warning the chunks were note compatible with the imposition. The problem is that 18 doesn't go into 800 evenly. What happens is the first file is cut 8 records short, leaving the remainder of section 1 at the beginning of file 2, 16 records of section 2 at the beginning of 3, 24 of 3 on 4 etc. It would be nice if I could create a rule that would force a new file or page break based on a value or count.

That's what I was unsuccessfully trying to avoid. The job is finished now (until next time) and that's what I ended up doing. It was very clean cut this time, with each section being 800, but that's the only time it's turned out that way. In a database of 120,000 records, it is rather daunting and too risky to go maverick on the database. I would much rather have the software do the drudgery.

Thanks a lot for the brainstorm, though. I appreciate the effort.

Archived