Complicated Signature Block

I have been trying to figure this out since the middle of last week. Any help would be appreciated! I am using three files: my main data file from which I am referencing two fields (STOREID and ADVISNUM), a dealer information file that ties to the main data file by the StoreID field (there is only one record per StoreID in this file), and a service advisor file that ties to the main data file using a StoreID field and an AdvisorNum field (there could be multiple records for a StoreID, but only one record for each StoreID and AdvisorNum). The signature block needs to flow in line with a letter and have a picture of the service advisor (sized to about 1" x 1.25") (if it's available) (which I need to create the resource dynamically) with the Sincerely, and service advisors name, title and phone number next to the graphic. My customer will be Supplying me with pdf files of the service advisors using the following naming convention: STOREID_ADVISNUM.pdf. I have an images directory that I will be placing these in. If the graphic is not available (meaning I have no pdf file in my images directory that matches the STOREID_ADVISNUM.pdf for that record), then I need to return the Sincerely, and service advisors name, title and phone number from the service advisor file at the left margin of the letter. If there is no service advisor number in my main data file, then I need to return the manager information from the dealer information file. I also need to return the manager information if the service advisor number in my main data file does not match any record in my service advisor file. I also need these signature blocks to flow in line with the body of the letter so they need to be inside the text box that is the body of the letter.

Sherri,

This would be an instance when you could use an inline graphic or a template page, when the image exists.

1a. If the main data file includes both the STOREID & ADVISNUM fields, you can return an inline graphic resource. Where the returned element is a Rule creating a pdf which is named from the data in the two fields STOREID & ADVISNUM concatenated with an underscore between them and .pdf at the end. Then with the Sincerely, and service advisors name, title and phone number next to the graphic.

1b. You could also create a template page in your document that is returned only in the instance when the graphic exists. A template page is a “repeatable component” that is unused as a page in the document, but gets called to appear by way of a Rule. It is built much the same way you built a regular body page, so you can incorporate the image and the text next to it.

2. If no pdf exists, return the Sincerely, and service advisors name, title and phone number in place of the graphic on the left.

3. If no service advisor number exists, check the second DB file and return the information you want to display when this happens.

Hope this helps

Archived