Multi Page PDF Upload

hrueda

If I create just one Fusion Pro Graphic Window and then upload a multi page PDF the display will only show the first page of the document. There is no way to upload a multi page pdf into a one Fusion Pro Graphic Window and have it display all the pages. I would have to create graphic windows for each page of the document. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks

If I create just one Fusion Pro Graphic Window and then upload a multi page PDF the display will only show the first page of the document. There is no way to upload a multi page pdf into a one Fusion Pro Graphic Window and have it display all the pages. I would have to create graphic windows for each page of the document. Do I understand this correctly?

Well, yes, in general, if you want to display multiple images in your output (whether from different graphics or different pages from the same PDF), then you need multiple graphic frames (or "graphic windows" as you call them).

However, there are other ways to bring in graphics besides putting them into graphics frames. For one, you can call out a graphic in a text frame; this is called an inline graphic (or "graphic tag inside story tag" in the FusionPro Tags Reference). A very common thing to do is to use Overflow pages to bring in multiple pages from a PDF resource, as demonstrated in several threads on this forum, including this one:

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=37

That example also demonstrates how you can call out any desired page from a multi-page PDF resource (with the pagenumber property of the Resource object or the pagenumber attribute of the <graphic> tag), instead of simply getting the first page by default.

You could also repeat the record for each page of a PDF, as demonstrated here:

http://forums.printable.com/showthread.php?t=4744

Some other things you might consider are repeatable components (Template pages), imposition ("multi-up" output), and Body Page usage.

If you could provide more specifics about what you're trying to accomplish, then I or someone else should be able to provide more specific advice.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm building a 8.5"x11" with 1/8 inch bleed template in Fusion Pro using one graphic frame. I'd like to have just one upload option that allows a 2 page PDF to display on the preview if it's possible. I will take a look at some of the examples you linked and see if they can help achieve this.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'm building a 8.5"x11" with 1/8 inch bleed template in Fusion Pro using one graphic frame. I'd like to have just one upload option that allows a 2 page PDF to display on the preview if it's possible. I will take a look at some of the examples you linked and see if they can help achieve this.

Oh, okay. The good news is that allowing a two-page PDF is a much simpler subset of allowing a multi-page PDF with any arbitrary number of pages.

You could simply have a second Body page with a graphic frame, and suppress the page if the PDF resource has only one page. The OnRecordStart rule could look something like this:

var res = CreateResource(Field("GraphicUploadFieldName"));
if (res.countPages > 1)
{
   res.pagenumber = 2;
   // Set the variable name for the graphic frame on page 2 to "PDFPage2".
   FusionPro.Composition.AddGraphicVariable("PDFPage2", res);
}
else
   FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(2, false);

Although, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "[allow] a 2 page PDF to display on the preview." What preview do you mean here? And in what system is the PDF being uploaded? Do you mean the preview in MarcomCentral? Or DSF? Or some other web application?

Edited by Dan Korn
typo

I added a second page to my document with a graphic frame.

I created an On RecordStart Rule and placed the code.

When I selected the Validate button I get an error:

On RecordStart, line 1: Syntax Error: missing) after argument list.

I mean the preview in Marcom Central.

Okay, thanks. So the next question is, what should happen differently in the preview when a two page PDF is selected versus a one page PDF?

Do you want to actually compose and print two separate output pages? If so, then you can do something like what I suggested in my previous post. However, I'm not sure that it will be obvious in the MarcomCentral preview that there are multiple pages to look at.

Or do you want to show both pages of the uploaded PDF on a single output page in preview, or some other indicator that there are two pages? (You can make the output differently for press and preview compositions by calling the IsOnlinePreview() or IsPreview() functions in a rule.)

I added a second page to my document with a graphic frame.

I created an On RecordStart Rule and placed the code.

When I selected the Validate button I get an error:

On RecordStart, line 1: Syntax Error: missing) after argument list.

Sorry, I forgot the second close parend. I've edited the post to correct it.

I'm building a 11"x8.5" brochure product which uploads need to be a 2 page PDF document. the 1st page will be the Outside of the brochure and the 2nd page the Inside of the brochure. I want users to upload their 2 page PDF once and be able to view both pages of their PDF in the Marcom Preview window. What I built in Fusion Pro is a one page 11x8.5 with a graphic frame. If I leave it this way when the 2 page PDF is uploaded only the 1st page will display on the preview.

Hi Dan,

Did you receive my last reply?

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't "receive" anything. If you're asking whether I saw your post from Tuesday, well, yeah, I see it right above this one.

I'm building a 11"x8.5" brochure product which uploads need to be a 2 page PDF document. the 1st page will be the Outside of the brochure and the 2nd page the Inside of the brochure. I want users to upload their 2 page PDF once and be able to view both pages of their PDF in the Marcom Preview window. What I built in Fusion Pro is a one page 11x8.5 with a graphic frame. If I leave it this way when the 2 page PDF is uploaded only the 1st page will display on the preview.

Thanks for the clarification. What is it that you're asking now? If you're asking about how to make the preview in MarcomCentral (the app) show you more than one page, that's not something I can answer. That's a MarcomCentral-specific question which should be asked in the MarcomCentral forum:

http://forums.pti.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15