Size and Placement of Frames From Data

draco66

This is a long shot but I have to ask.

Is there a way to control the size of and placement of a text or graphic frame within a template based on data?

For example: you have an 11" x 17" template, and based on user input there will be one graphic frame that is 5" x 7" in size placed .5" down from top and .5" in from left. Another graphic frame 8" x 10" placed .5" down from top and 6" in from left edge.

There will always be two graphic frames but the size and position of each frame is based on data provided.

Thank you.

If you have FusionPro Server, you can manipulate the width, height, x, and y coordinates of frames from the OnRecordStart callback:

var frame1 = FindGraphicFrame("First Graphic Frame");
var frame2 = FindGraphicFrame("Second Graphic Frame");

// 5x7 frame
frame1.x = 0.5 * 7200;    // in hundreths of a point
frame1.y = 0.5 * 7200;    // in hundreths of a point
frame1.width = 5 * 7200;  // in hundreths of a point
frame1.height = 7 * 7200; // in hundreths of a point

// 8x10 frame
frame2.x = 6 * 7200;      // in hundreths of a point
frame2.y = 0.5 * 7200;    // in hundreths of a point
frame2.width = 8 * 7200;  // in hundreths of a point
frame2.height = 10 * 7200;// in hundreths of a point

Sounds promising. So if I do have FusionPro Server and I create this template as a product for MarcomCentral, will it create an accurate proof in MarcomCentral? Or would it only create an accurate file once we process the job on our end?

Sounds promising. So if I do have FusionPro Server and I create this template as a product for MarcomCentral, will it create an accurate proof in MarcomCentral? Or would it only create an accurate file once we process the job on our end?

Yes, MarcomCentral (the application) uses FusionPro Server for compositions. So any job which moves or resizes frames, as well as any job which resizes pages (such as ad resizing) will compose correctly in MarcomCentral, even if you don't have your own FusionPro Server license.

If you do have your own FusionPro Server or Producer license, then you can compose the file on the machine with that license. If you only have a FusionPro Desktop/Creator license, then you won't be able to compose output with moved/resized frames, unless you submit it to a FusionPro Producer or Server machine, or an application (such as MarcomCentral) using FP Server.