Can you insert a graphic resource using a text rule?

Ryan_B

Hello

This question partly pertains to MarcomCentral, but I believe my problem may lie somewhere in my template via FusionPro. I'm hoping someone can help.

I am working on a project that allows the user to enter up to three addresses. In-between each address, I am required to insert a black line. This is what it should look like should the user enter all three addresses:

http://forums.pti.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=38

This is what it should look like should the user only enter two addresses:

http://forums.pti.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=39

And of course if the user only entered one address, there would be a black line above, and below the address.

I created a black line graphic resource and have written some text rules to return said resource depending on how many addresses the user enters.

This rule inserts the black line if the user enters 2 addresses.

if(Field("2ndLocationAddress1") != "")
{
   return Resource("BlackLine");
}
else
{
   return "";
}

I have inserted these rules into the same text frame as my address fields, and I'm wondering if that's not what is causing the problem. It previews and composes on the FusionPro side just as I want it to. However once I collect my files and upload them to MarcomCentral, the graphics do not show up. I have a feeling that's because I'm trying to insert graphics into text frames. If that's the case, then why did it preview and compose correctly in FP? Do I need to draw individual graphic frames in my template, create graphic rules that return the black line instead of text rules, then move those frames around based on how many addresses the user enters? Seems like a lot of work for a simple outcome. Any ideas?

Also,

I have created a library within MarcomCentral and uploaded my black line image to it, then added that library image to my template within MarcomCentral.

This question partly pertains to MarcomCentral, but I believe my problem may lie somewhere in my template via FusionPro.

If the output is correct in FP Creator/Desktop but incorrect in MarcomCentral, then this is by definition a MarcomCentral question. Yes, it's related to FusionPro as well, as just about every MarcomCentral job uses FusionPro, but it's still specific to Marcom.

I have inserted these rules into the same text frame as my address fields, and I'm wondering if that's not what is causing the problem. It previews and composes on the FusionPro side just as I want it to. However once I collect my files and upload them to MarcomCentral, the graphics do not show up.

Obviously you can use graphics in text frames. These are called inline graphics. There's an entire section in the FusionPro User Guide devoted to them.

I have a feeling that's because I'm trying to insert graphics into text frames. If that's the case, then why did it preview and compose correctly in FP?

The question is, why is it not working in MarcomCentral? The most likely reason is that FusionPro is simply not finding the graphic in the MarcomCentral composition. You should try to locate the composition log (.msg) file. You can do this in Marcom by viewing the PDF output in the browser, making sure your browser address bar is showing, then changing the ".pdf" at the end of the URL to ".msg".

I have created a library within MarcomCentral and uploaded my black line image to it, then added that library image to my template within MarcomCentral.

Okay, but perhaps the file name doesn't quite match or something. That's what the log file should tell you.

At any rate, without that log file, or being able to see any of the files involved with the job at all, all I or anyone else can do is just guess at what might be going wrong.

Do I need to draw individual graphic frames in my template, create graphic rules that return the black line instead of text rules, then move those frames around based on how many addresses the user enters? Seems like a lot of work for a simple outcome.

You could do something like that, but as long as you have the same graphic resources for the online composition, it should work basically the same way as in Acrobat.

Any ideas?

Now that you mention it, Yes. There are several other ways you could accomplish just outputting a black bar, other than using an inline graphic. Probably the simplest is to output a string of lower-case "g" characters in the Webdings font, either in the Text Editor or with a rule like so:

return '<f name="Webdings">' + Array(21).join('g');

Or, you could create a table with thick gridlines. Or use a repeatable component (Template Page) which contains an empty box with a Black fill and the text box for the address.