Add a page based on another pages condition

Ryan_B

I was wondering if there was a way to add a page based on the condition of another page. The condition specifically being whether the page number is even, or odd.

I'm building a book that has optional sections and pages available for the end user to include or omit. Certain pages are required to be on the right-hand side of the book, due to printing and binding restrictions. If one of these pages lands on the left-hand side of the book due to the selections the user made, I need to add a blank page, (essentially a 'Notes' page) before the page to "push" it to the right-hand side of the book.

How can I check whether the page number of a certain page is even or odd, and if it's even (left-hand side of the book) insert a page before it?

Yeah, I looked into the overflow options but I'm not sure quite how to go about doing that.

I was looking at some of the finishing settings though within the Page Usage section on each individual page. There is a Binding Edge option that lets you choose which side of the page will be bound. If a page is supposed to always be on the right-hand side of the book, can I just set that Binding Edge to 'Left'? And if so, will it simply keep the back of the previous page blank?

Yeah, I looked into the overflow options but I'm not sure quite how to go about doing that.

I think you need to try some different settings and see what you get. It's hard for me to do that on my end without your job files.

I was looking at some of the finishing settings though within the Page Usage section on each individual page. There is a Binding Edge option that lets you choose which side of the page will be bound. If a page is supposed to always be on the right-hand side of the book, can I just set that Binding Edge to 'Left'? And if so, will it simply keep the back of the previous page blank?

No, those JDF settings have no effect on the composed output, or at least not on what pages get output or what visible content they have. They go into a JDF file that gets generated alongside the output, which is used by JDF-enabled RIPs for media (tray) selection and post-press finishing.