Issue exporting frames from InDesign after update

JoeACG

Hello all,

I know the FP support team is currently out of the office (Cali-time!), so I figured I'd ask this in hopes that I may get a response before they get in.

Per the suggestion of FP's support team, I recently updated my 9.x install to 9.3.15. This update was to solve a font issue (some typefaces, even when selected via a JS rule, would automatically default to the italic version associated with their weight), which it did correct!

However, it seems to have caused an second issue. I'm now unable to have frames exported from new InDesign documents, regardless of PDF preset. I can confirm this, as I created multiple (basic) test documents, tried exporting both variable text and graphic frames, and have tried all PDF presets (Adobe-loaded & custom) without any luck.

I'm running Creative Suite 5.5, FP 9.3.15 beta, and OS X 10.10.2.

I understand this is a beta, and the solution very well may be to reinstall the older (stable) version, however the font issue that this version corrected is something that I really don't want to reoccur.

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

Hi Dan,

Text or graphic frames tagged using the FP plugin do NOT export. Neither the frame nor the content appear in the FP-generated PDF, however all non-FP related elements (as in, static BG elements) disappear in the PDF during export.

I uninstalled 9.3.15 and installed 9.3.12. Good news: text and graphic frames now export. Bad news: The font issue that forced me to install 9.3.15 is now back. (I'm assuming 9.3.15 is the first release that included the font fix.)

I guess it's true: you can't have your cake and eat it too... This does leave me in a difficult situation though, as I need both issues to be resolved. There are typefaces that I need to use, and I'd greatly prefer to avoid recreating all of my text and graphic frames inside of Acrobat.

So, I suppose this gets added to the bug list for this beta?

Thanks!

Text or graphic frames tagged using the FP plugin do NOT export. Neither the frame nor the content appear in the FP-generated PDF, however all non-FP related elements (as in, static BG elements) disappear in the PDF during export.

So, you're saying that the tagged frames disappear, and the static elements do as well? So you just get a completely empty PDF? Can you attach the InDesign file and the resulting PDF here?

I uninstalled 9.3.15 and installed 9.3.12. Good news: text and graphic frames now export. Bad news: The font issue that forced me to install 9.3.15 is now back. (I'm assuming 9.3.15 is the first release that included the font fix.)

Yes, the latest round of font improvements are in 9.3.15.

I guess it's true: you can't have your cake and eat it too... This does leave me in a difficult situation though, as I need both issues to be resolved. There are typefaces that I need to use, and I'd greatly prefer to avoid recreating all of my text and graphic frames inside of Acrobat.

Well, you might be able to have the cake of the InDesign plug-ins from one version of FusionPro and everything else from the other version. Copy the CS 5.5 InDesign Plug-in files from FusionPro 9.3.12 that you have installed now (from the Plug-Ins/PTI folder where InDesign CS 5.5 is installed) to another location, then re-install 9.3.15, and then copy the older CS 5.5 plug-ins back, and see if that works.

The other advice I can give you is this: InDesign CS 5.5 is four years old, and is currently the second-oldest of five different versions of InDesign that are supported by FusionPro 9.3 (CS 5, CS 5.5, CS 6, CC, and CC 2014). And our testing focuses more on the newer versions. So you might consider upgrading to a newer version of InDesign.

So, I suppose this gets added to the bug list for this beta?

Only if you report the issue to Support.

Hi Dan,

Let me clarify: Static elements WILL generate in the PDF, ONLY variable/versioned frames tagged as such through the plugin refuse to generate during output.

However, your advice (copying the 9.3.12 plugins, reinstalling 9.3.15, and replacing the plugins with the 9.3.12 version) has worked!

Because of this I can only assume there's an issue with the 9.3.15 InDesign plugin, and I have notified your support team about the possibility.

As always, your knowledge is equally as impressive as it is helpful. I never would have considered that your solution would have even been a possibility.

Thanks again!

Joe