PPML Bleeds and PDF/VT Slow

Craig

For some reason we ahve random PPML bleeds issues. Sometimes the bleeds are all included when we make a PPML and sometimes they are on 2 of the 4 sides. We are using the same FP Imposition template, all supplied PDF's have 1/8" bleeds on all 4 sides. If I compose the output using PDF/VT all the bleeds are included, but the file RIPs slow. What takes 30 seconds in PPML will take 30 minutes with PDF/VT. We have a Xerox EF1000 Fiery with all the bells and whistles.

Has anyone been successful with PDF/VT?

• 11 months later...
Dan - When the file is ripped (EFI EX1000) and printed the bleeds are no there, just a white gutter and the crops are placed at the trim, with the bleeds stopping at the trim. This is both PPML and Single File VPS. When I generate a PDF/VT the bleeds are included in the output as normal. This is using the same FusionPro Imposer file for imposition on all formats. The problem is PDF/VT rips at about half the speed of PPML or VPS and with over 300,000 records I need all the rip speed I can get!!

Hi Dan - I just may have stumbled across something. I had a file that was exactly the same size and the bleeds always show with VPS. I opened it up and the bleeds show in Acrobat. This file that is giving me a fit does not show the bleed beyond the page boundary, just a blank area with the bleed box. With this file I added variable frames in InDesign and used the export function to get it into Acrobat.

So I just tested the theory by NOT using the FP export from InDesign and just publishing to PDF and adding the text and graphic frames in FP. All is well with the VPS output, bleeds are included. There must be something about the FP Export from InDesign that messed with the bleeds, but what puzzles me is they show up fine when I compose in a PDF format. I'm using FP 9.1.0.

So I just tested the theory by NOT using the FP export from InDesign and just publishing to PDF and adding the text and graphic frames in FP. All is well with the VPS output, bleeds are included. There must be something about the FP Export from InDesign that messed with the bleeds, but what puzzles me is they show up fine when I compose in a PDF format. I'm using FP 9.1.0.

What is the Bleed setting on the Imposition tab of the Composition Settings dialog? This should be the bleed applied to the output pages.

Also, if you compose without an Imposition Definition (.fpi file), do the bleeds show up in the composed PPML output?