Slug Line Variables

PrintNW

I'm looking for a list of variables and the required syntax, to add custom dynamic content into a slugline.

I'm creating templates for use on Marcom Central and I'd like to be able to simply add this dynamic slug (referencing date, job ticket number, etc) to the slugline field in FusionPro Imposer.

If this program won't accept dynamic code, then I suppose I can add it in my FusionPro template - as long as I know the proper coding.

Can anyone tell me of a website or PDF document that lists all acceptable variables for this?

Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what MarcomCentral exposes to JavaScript rules for things like the ticket number, but you can set FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText in OnJobStart to just about anything you want. For instance:

FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText = FormatDate(Today(), "mm-dd-yyyy");

Dan,

What I'm looking for is some control over what is placed in the infoslug line.

I've comtacted Marcom support and all they were able to tell me was:

Currently, you can't place variable fields in the slug line of an fpi file but you can put certain items from the .cfg file into the template. Those items are:

MCC_OrderNumber

MCC_OrderLineItemSKU

MCC_OrderDate

MCC_JobTicketNumber

MCC_ImpositionDate

MCC_RunCount

While I'd like to use some of these variables, I can find no resources to tell me how to apply them.

I'm assuming I need to create an OnJobStart rule (lets call it slugline) then apply some of these variables to that rule. Lastly I'd create a text box outside of the print area taht includes this rule. Is that correct?

If so, I can find no resources that tell me the proper syntax for writing this rule.

Can you help? Lets say I want a slug which displays the "MCC_JobTicketNumber" and the "MCC_OrderLineItemSKU" I haven't gotten much help from Marcom so far so any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

Lee

Dan,

What I'm looking for is some control over what is placed in the infoslug line.

I've comtacted Marcom support and all they were able to tell me was:

Currently, you can't place variable fields in the slug line of an fpi file but you can put certain items from the .cfg file into the template. Those items are:

MCC_OrderNumber

MCC_OrderLineItemSKU

MCC_OrderDate

MCC_JobTicketNumber

MCC_ImpositionDate

MCC_RunCount

While I'd like to use some of these variables, I can find no resources to tell me how to apply them.

These are all job options (defined in the CFG file for the composition), so you can access them as properties of the FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions object. For instance:

return FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["MCC_JobTicketNumber"];

I'm assuming I need to create an OnJobStart rule (lets call it slugline) then apply some of these variables to that rule.

Yes, you can set the FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText property in OnJobStart. The rule name is OnJobStart; you can create it by checking the Callback radio button in the New Rule dialog.

Lastly I'd create a text box outside of the print area taht includes this rule. Is that correct?

No, you don't need to do that. You just need to check the "Page Info" box on the Imposition tab of the Composition Settings.

There is a more complicated way to do this, to control the position of the slug line, in addition to the contents, by adding a Template page for the imposition sheet background and calling some special JavaScript, as described here:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=11530&postcount=3

If so, I can find no resources that tell me the proper syntax for writing this rule.

Can you help? Lets say I want a slug which displays the "MCC_JobTicketNumber" and the "MCC_OrderLineItemSKU" I haven't gotten much help from Marcom so far so any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

Try this:

FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText = FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["MCC_JobTicketNumber"];

Okay Dan, I'm almost there. (Thank you SO MUCH for your help by trhe way)

I used your rule syntax in my OnJobStart rule, checked the Page Info box when I was composing and tested it out on my Marcom web site. And it worked!

The only problem I have now is that I can't seem to create the proper sytax for using more than one parameter. In other words, I'd like to use JobTicketNumber and OrderLineSKU together in my slugline. But so far, every attempt I make creates an "unidentified" label in my slugline.

My most promising attempt looked like this:

FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText = FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["MCC_JobTicketNumber" + " - " + "MCC_OrderLineItemSKU"];

So far nothing I do can get a result that looks like this: TEST1002 - HB-BC-Card

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Dan, I finally was able to get it to work. The code I used looked this:

FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText = "Job# " + FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["MCC_OrderNumber"] + " / SKU# " + FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["MCC_OrderLineItemSKU"];

And it gave me a slugline that looked like this: Job# TEST1049 / SKU# pt-61

Thanks again for all your help!

Lee