AFP output

DSweet

This is a request from one of our clients for a new project...

Hello

A question for the mail vendor I have is the following:

Can they provide the CIT letter in an AFP format?

Can they add a TLE record?

I might be misrepresenting something but I wanted to find out if I could have these letters also sent into AO DOC center for customer service and they needed the files in this format. Can you confirm with the vendor if they can do this?

Thanks!

Currently we do projects and just print them. It looks like this customer now wants us to provide back to them a searchable AFP file. AFP is one of the output formats for FusionPro so that's half the problem solved. However I was wondering of FusionPro can insert the Tag Logical Elements (TLE) record that he is referring to? I did some searching online and came up with these TLE records being involved with indexing and searching the files for the IBM workflow.

More and more companies are asking us to provide optimized pdf files for their customer service departments so they can have an exact copy of what was mailed to the client in front of them when any of the end-customers call in with requests or questions about their accounts -- or for whatever reason the mailing was sent. This is the first request we've received for a specific format to be used in a specific workflow.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edited by DSweet

Yes, you can call the FusionPro.Composition.AddAFPRecordData function in a JavaScript rule, preferably OnRecordStart. It takes two parameters: a key and a value. A call would look something like this:

FusionPro.Composition.AddAFPRecordData("Name", Field("Name"));

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. However I guess I need to talk to someone in sales or something. When I tried to do an AFP output file for a test I get the message "AFP Output is not allowed with this license. Composition stopped".

I will be checking with Customer Service about this but just a quick question for the rest of the forum followers...

I thought that with FusionPro if the option is available to select (at least in the in the Desktop version) then you can use it? Since "AFP" is a selectable option on my composition output screen I was under the impression that I would be able to use it?

Apparently not.

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. However I guess I need to talk to someone in sales or something. When I tried to do an AFP output file for a test I get the message "AFP Output is not allowed with this license. Composition stopped".

Yes, you need a license key which enables AFP output. By default, this is not enabled. Support should be able to help you obtain the license you need.

I thought that with FusionPro if the option is available to select (at least in the in the Desktop version) then you can use it? Since "AFP" is a selectable option on my composition output screen I was under the impression that I would be able to use it?

Not necessarily. That is true if you have a Desktop or Producer API (Server) license. But if you have a Producer (FP Direct) or single-record Designer serial number, then the idea is that the composition will be performed on a different machine, so all output formats are shown in the GUI in Acrobat, because we don't know which outputs are supported by whatever server will actually be doing the composition.

What does the "About FusionPro" box say?

FusionPro VDP Creator 8.2.7 is my "Desktop" version. We also have Producer API (Server) at the same level.

I've taken your advise and put in a call to customer support, but all I could do was leave a message. They have not called back as of yet.