Processing Orders While Correcting an Imposition

MikeHartman

Hi! Bit of a tricky one here. We have a job that was not originally set up correctly; the one-up FusionPro files did not have crop marks and while the selected default imposition has crop marks, it is the wrong size entirely. Unfortunately, we have a large amount of orders for this said job with the incorrect imposition assigned. I’m trying to correct this.

My thought is that I can go into the Dashboard and use the “Imposition Manager” to re-assign a corrected imposition to the product. I would think I could go in to the dashboard with the Catalog Orders, select all orders for that product, and then select a correct imposition that I’ve uploaded. From there, I would process the job and create an imposition which would generate a batched PDF.

The problem is, once the batched PDF is generated, the info slug displays information for the entire job rather than individually on a page by page basis. For example, suppose I have 2 orders for the product. When I group them together on an imposition, each page reads “Job Number: JB-A-34 Order Number: PO#0000112, PO#0000113 Order Date: 10/17/2012 6:26:57 AM Run Count: 48, 72 Stock_type: Inks: 10/17”. That’s wonderful and all, but how would production know which page in the PDF correlates to which order number and run count?

My only thought now is to run the imposition manager for each individual order, but for 1,000 orders…this could take a while. As far as I know, there’s no way to re-process a job’s 1-up or Imposed (Default) to use a different imposition or template. Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

I appreciate any help in advance. I know I may not have done the best job in explaining this, so please let me know if anyone needs further clarification.

I'm not sure if this will help your particular case, but FusionPro 8.2 adds the capability to place custom text and graphics on the imposed sheets when using FP Imposer. Also, you can simply set the FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetSlugText property in the OnRecordStart rule to override the default slug line text set by FP Imposer. However, utilizing either of these new features would require you to modify the FusionPro template to use FP Imposer for imposition instead of using MarcomCentral's imposition system.

Thanks, Dan -- that is actually very good to know. I'll have to dig around in the reference PDFs to read up on placing text on the imposed sheets. If nothing else, the impositionSheetSlugText is good to know about. While this won't help here, we did find a workaround for my original issue.

That said, would you happen to know if it's possible to grab the Marcom "Order ID" value with JavaScript? I would love to place this on a slug, as it is a unique identifier per each product ordered and would give production the best ability to match up order to files. Naming the file after the Order ID would be beneficial, too, but that's just a plus.

That said, would you happen to know if it's possible to grab the Marcom "Order ID" value with JavaScript? I would love to place this on a slug, as it is a unique identifier per each product ordered and would give production the best ability to match up order to files. Naming the file after the Order ID would be beneficial, too, but that's just a plus.

Sorry, I don't know. Someone from the MarcomCentral team will have to answer that.

If MarcomCentral were to put the information into the CFG file, then you would be able to easily access it as a property of FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions, like any other CFG setting. But I don't think it does that currently. I would ask your CPM about an enhancement to MarcomCentral to do that.