Why "Could not copyfit text in flow" in the output log

ThePorge

Added a name to the boxes. Checked the reported boxes and there was no extra spaces or returns or anything in the text boxes. Also when previewing these text boxes I don't get the indication that any text is overflowing the area. When I look thru the final pdf all the text appears to be there. ????. The log reports this is happing in all the records that are being generated.

You also get that same warning/error message in the log file if there is a "blank" in one of the variables. If there is a blank, FusionPro can not copyfit that so it shows up as an warning/error message. Took me a while to figure that one out.

You also get that same warning/error message in the log file if there is a "blank" in one of the variables. If there is a blank, FusionPro can not copyfit that so it shows up as an warning/error message. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Can you post a sample job which demonstrates this? I can't reproduce it.

Attached is a sample that throws the error on empty values.

It can be overcome by either adding a space after the inserted variable or by turning off suppress if empty.

Thanks for the sample job. So yes, I see the warning, and I know what's going on.

It's not just that you have a field with an empty value somewhere in the flow, it's that the entire content of the flow is empty, because not only is the field value itself empty; you also have "Suppress if empty" set for the single paragraph. So that paragraph is suppressed, and effectively there are no paragraphs at all to be typeset, and therefore nothing to be copyfitted. Thus, the message is technically correct: the text could not be copyfitted because there is no text to copyfit. The difference between an empty paragraph and no paragraph at all may seem subtle, but there is a difference.

However, I can see how the message in this case could be considered misleading, or at least unnecessarily verbose. I suppose this could be "fixed," although it's a pretty minor warning for basically an edge case.

The way to work around this, in a frame with a single paragraph, is to uncheck the "Suppress if empty" box. If it's really empty, then there should be no problem copyfitting the single empty line/paragraph of text. I don't know why you would really need to suppress the paragraph anyway in that case.

Or, just add another paragraph by going to the end of the text and pressing Enter/Return.

Or, as suggested, just add a space character at the end. However, this will work only if you have "Suppress if empty", not if you have "Suppress if containing empty variables," as the space will also be suppressed in the latter case.