How to Update the PDF in a FP Template

ksulliv1

Hi, I have recently updated to FP Desktop 7.2 and am wondering. Has anything been added, or if not what is the best process, for taking an existing completed project, and replacing the original PDF with an updated version? So I have a project that has all of the parameters setup and functioning, the data file, rules, text frames, paragraph and tab settings, HTML form setting, composition setup and output, etc. And know I just want to "apply" all of this exactly as is, to a newly updated version of the PDF file. What is the cleanest, quickest way to accomplish this? If there is a section in the manual devoted to this, I have not been able to find it.

Thanks,

ksulliv1

The easiest way to accomplish this is as follows:

1. Open your new PDF with all of the variable content removed (the PDF is only the static base art).
  2. Next, use the "Import data source from another document' option during the Data Definition step. This allows you to select the previous templates DEF file. The DEF file establishes all the Fields, Rules and Resources and will point to the old data file (if applicable).
  3. On the top menu items in Acrobat, go to to FusionPro > Advanced > Import. Then import the Layout, Colors and Paragraph Styles (as needed).

There you go all up-to-date.

Ok thanks, I think that is what I did once in the past. Was just wondering if they had a new feature that just migrated everything from one PDF to another in one step. Also, if like in my case, you are using the template as an online form, there is one more step that you need to do.

FusionPro>Define HTML Form>From XML File

and then again, point to the original project folder for the XML.

And then since I have noticed that by importing the data file, doesn't actually duplicate it in the new project folder. I end up manually copying the original file and pasting it into the new project file, and then doing a

FusionPro>Data Definition>Change Input File

and pointing to the duplicated file in the new project window.

Also, when you go to compose the new project, the output file and location are still set to the old project name and folder, so I make sure to change these setting also. Like I said, it would be nice if there was a simple clean, one step to just migrate all of the Fusion Pro files and settings, to a new project file and folder.

Thanks for your help!

If you are literally just swapping a PDF serving as a static background, and none of the positions of FP frames moves, you could create a template with a blank page and create a (bottom-most layer) graphic frame covering the entire page, assign a rule that imports a pdf for the background and then update the PDF file the rule links to.

We routinely do this for basic postcard mailings which will have unique art from project to project (or even client to client) with nothing variable except the indicia and mailing panel. We simply update the static graphic, the indicia graphic and the mailing data file and hit compose.

Also, when you go to compose the new project, the output file and location are still set to the old project name and folder

As for this, you could set up an output rule to custom name your output file (and location) based on your input file name.

Ah, that is an iteresting alternative for accomplishing this. Are you saying that this would work for an existing project that already has a PDF file with copy on it, or that the project should be setup this way originally, if you suspect you may need to update the PDF copy down the road?

Another way...

If you are Exporting the document from InDesign, you can make the changes in InDesign and Export Document using the same name. The pdf will be replaced but all rules and frames will be intact.

Ah, that is an iteresting alternative for accomplishing this. Are you saying that this would work for an existing project that already has a PDF file with copy on it, or that the project should be setup this way originally, if you suspect you may need to update the PDF copy down the road?

You could edit your current file to work in this format for all future orders either by using PitStop to remove all the "static" elements and then adding a graphic frame on bottom layer to "import" static elements as a separate PDF file or by adding another page and copying variable frames over before deleting original page.

Archived