Can't have multiple variables in a box... What to do???

Stack

I just found out that for whatever reason, we can't include multiple variables within a variable box. I don't completely understand why, but it has to do something with the way in which customer input from their PrintOne store front is placed into the actual print files. This creates a huge problem, because 99% of what I setup in FusionPro are journal covers with variable volume numbers, version numbers, dates, page ranges, etc., and a lot of times these variables all fall on one line. Below is an example, with the variable text in the green box:

http://forums.printable.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37&stc=1&d=1229530903

My question is, is there any way to duplicate the seamless look of multiple variables within one variable box, but using multiple variable boxes (one for each specific variable)?

I know the obvious approach would be to create individual boxes for the month, year, volume number, and issue number variables, and then specify to downsize text that won't fit. This will create problems though, because obviously this will lead to varying font sizes, and that's something that customers will not like. And of course the space between variables will never be consistent, atleast while there are more than 2 variables. Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Variables_screenshot.jpg.a4f028e81a56b339343065e946811a75.jpg

Stack,

You answered your own question. If they have to be one per frame than individual frames for each Variable is the only way. I think you diagnosed the pitfalls pretty accurately.

You should really find out WHY you can't have multiple Variable Fields in the same frame. You have options with Tabs or Columns; if they can reside in the same frame.

Goodluck

Stack,

Not sure what the issue you are running into is, but you can surely have multiple variables within a single variable text frame.

Can you provide some additional information as to the issue you are seeing when you have multiple variables in a frame? Are the values not showing correctly? Style being lost? etc.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't provide any info as to why we can't, other than it has to do with some behind the scenes stuff with customer input on the store front level. FusionPro is a very new product to our company, and they're still in the process of setting everything up with Printable. Me and another guy have been given the task of setting up these covers, and then after setting up a good 20 or 30 covers from scratch, we're told we can't have multiple variables in a variable box. We're not told why, and we're not given any sort of direction for a workaround; we're just told that this is directly from Printable, and that we have to figure out how to make it work.

mhilger - I've been setting up covers with multiple variables in a variable box, and I've uploaded these templates into mock store fronts, and everything seems to work fine. I do continue to have random font substitution issues (correct fonts upload, but random fonts are substituted for the correct fonts when I preview and/or download a proof), but I think that's a whole other issue... For all intents and purposes, multiple variables in a variable box -- sans the fonts issue -- seems to work just fine. I'll talk to my supervisor and see if I can drum up some details about the variables issue, and I'll post here what I find out.

FreightTrain - Like I said above, I'll see what I can find out about the reasoning for this variables issue. I've definitely questioned it a couple times, but I'm never given a straight answer. As for using tabs and columns, I'm not sure what you mean... Are you talking about when you setup the file in Quark or InDesign, and specify multiple columns for a text box? If there's more than 2 variables required, I'd still have the same issue. Unless tabs and columns is an altogether different option that I don't know about, or have completely forgotten about (which is not too unlikely)?

Stack,

Both Tabs and Columns are ways to control the position of content within a Frame.

My suggestion for using either of these would also be contingent on using multiple Variable Fields in the same Frame. If you must have one Field per Frame, then you are correct in that you will have to figure out how to make this work for the template.

Hi Stack,

It sounds like there is some confusion regarding the building of your journal covers. I would be more than happy to go over how these covers are being built with you so we can ensure that everything goes smoothly when you go live.

Please feel free to email me directly and we can set up a call to review the FusionPro Templates you are building.

Thank you & Happy New Year!

-Aislinn

Hi Stack,

It sounds like there is some confusion regarding the building of your journal covers. I would be more than happy to go over how these covers are being built with you so we can ensure that everything goes smoothly when you go live.

Please feel free to email me directly and we can set up a call to review the FusionPro Templates you are building.

Thank you & Happy New Year!

-Aislinn

Aislinn, thanks for the reply! Actually, I believe you are the Printable rep. who we (Cadmus) have been working with, so I'm sure you can give me a clear explanation. I'll shoot you an email now...

Thanks!

Chris

Archived