Japanese characters and VDP

NPN

Is this possible?

I have a business card where the customer wants one side in english and one side in Japanese. I've tested a bit, enabling asian character support, but whatever i write or paste in the data field with Japanes characters becomes a bunch of question marks when I save the data file.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I have a business card where the customer wants one side in english and one side in Japanese. I've tested a bit, enabling asian character support, but whatever i write or paste in the data field with Japanes characters becomes a bunch of question marks when I save the data file.

I see; this is a problem with the GUI, not with the composition. The "Edit Data Field" dialog does not currently support Unicode. You will need to edit your Japanese data file in an external text editor.

So when the ultimate goal here is to upload this VDP to Digital Storefront and let the customer fill in the data, it's not possible?

Do you mean a form in the DSF web app which allows the user to enter text? That's not part of FusionPro. You would need to ask EFI about that.

Or maybe I'm still confused about exactly where you're entering the text.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just got a Japanese font working in my online storefront.

In addition to enabling asian character support with fusion pro, It seems you need to mess with the data file a little. In the field I wanted to use Japanese characters, I put this as my sample data:

<unicode>4fe1606f548c901a4fe16280672f987e95ee</unicode>

The advice came from this forum:

http://dsfforums.efi.com/showthread.php?177-DSF-Product-Using-Asian-Characters

I didn't have to change any settings in my storefront. Once I added that to my data file, when I uploaded the collect files it just worked.

I just got a Japanese font working in my online storefront.

In addition to enabling asian character support with fusion pro, It seems you need to mess with the data file a little. In the field I wanted to use Japanese characters, I put this as my sample data:

The advice came from this forum:

http://dsfforums.efi.com/showthread.php?177-DSF-Product-Using-Asian-Characters

I didn't have to change any settings in my storefront. Once I added that to my data file, when I uploaded the collect files it just worked.

That will certainly work, but you can also use a Unicode data file, in either UTF-8 or UTF-16, as long as it has a byte order mark.

If you have a job with a Unicode data file that's not working, please post it here or send it to Support.