Issue with entity from store front web form

lance

I am trying to figure out how to get a 'greater than' or 'less than' sign entered in a product web form to display properly on a piece. Here are the results of all of the methods I have tried; none work:

entering 3 > 2 in the web form:

placing the variable directly in the rich text editor using 'insert' : 3 2

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' UNchecked: 3 2 (two spaces between)

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' checked: 3 2

return from a rule using NormalizeEntities(); : 3 2

entering 5 < 4 in the web form:

placing the variable directly in the rich text editor using 'insert' : 5

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' UNchecked: 5 <>

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' checked: 5

return from a rule using NormalizeEntities(); : 5 <>

Just as a test/comparison I tried the same options but using a couple of other entities:

entering 3 & 2 in the web form:

placing the variable directly in the rich text editor using 'insert' : 3 & 2

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' UNchecked: 3 & 2

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' checked: 3 & 2

return from a rule using NormalizeEntities(); : 3 & 2

entering 3 ® 2 in the web form:

placing the variable directly in the rich text editor using 'insert' : 3 ® 2

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' UNchecked: 3 ® 2

returning the variable from a rule, 'return as tagged text' checked: 3 ® 2

return from a rule using NormalizeEntities(); : 3 ® 2

It seems like entities are all over the place when trying to bring them in from web forms, but the greater than and less than signs I can't get to work at all. I can't think of any other way to get and display the text, and none of those ways work. Any ideas?

What web form exactly? Is this in MarcomCentral, or in some other web-to-print app? I ask because the web application may be doing some kind of processing on the form entry, which may be application-specific. Different apps may generate different kinds of input files for FusionPro as well.

But generally, in tagged markup, when you want to output special markup characters such as greater-than and less-than literally, you need to denote them with entities; specifically, the > and < entities. The full set of entities is listed in the Tags Reference Guide.

Sorry, yes this is in MarcomCentral. And yes, I have worked with entities outside of the MarcomCentral fine (direct builds on desktop).

The problem I seem to be having is getting the greater than or less than entity from the web form; I don't know if it is being passed to the composition server correctly. I have tried NormalizeEntities() and also replace '>' with '>' but neither of those worked. I have also tried just returning the field value from within a rule with tagged text both checked and unchecked and neither way worked.

I don't know of any other way to take input from the webform and output it other than the methods above, none of which have worked.

Archived