Image missing in JLT, ok in PDF

brightfish

I have a layout with a variable image (PDF) placed in it. When I compose a PDF from FP Desktop, the image is placed correctly. When I switch the output over to a .jlt file, the image does not show up any more. Has anyone run into this before?

I've run dozens of templates that are setup the same way and have never run into this before. I've tried running a partial list of the records and I've rebuilt the template from scratch and I still get the same result.

Help?

Not that I could find. I think I've finally got a workaround by opening all of the links and saving them back out of Illustrator, so there must have been some sort of weird setting in the file. I don't understand why FP would compose a variable PDF and not a .jlt though.

I've recently run into the same issue, pulling in PDFs that I created myself with my normal settings. It composes without issue both times, but when composed in PDF format, the resources are there and when composed as a JLT, the resources are not there.

I was in a rush and did not have time to dissect the issue yet, but my initial reaction was that this was just a problem with our RIP. I created another jlt for this week's job so I'll be interested to see what the outcome is...

I just found it interesting that you ran into the same issue.

I think my problem stems from my resource PDFs being generated out of FusionPro. There is FP meta data in the PDFs (not sure if that's an issue or not). Is there any reason that FusionPro would not recognize my PDFs as resources in jlt format but <i>would</i> in PDF output format?

I think my problem stems from my resource PDFs being generated out of FusionPro. There is FP meta data in the PDFs (not sure if that's an issue or not). Is there any reason that FusionPro would not recognize my PDFs as resources in jlt format but <i>would</i> in PDF output format?

It's very hard to answer a question like that in the abstract without a file to look at.

• 2 months later...

I have been having the exact same problem. Have been able to resolve it in some cases, others I haven't. One solution doesn't seem to work every time the problem appears.

What I have found is it seems to be happening when the job is imposed using FP Imposer. I took a problem file, imposed it -- PDF was fine, image missing in JLT. Took same file, wrote JLT WITHOUT imposing it -- JLT was fine, image was there.

I have files if there's somewhere I can submit them.

I have the same issue when I produce VIPP files with a variable .pdf background graphic in them as well. The pdf graphic does not show up. No problem with the rip, no errors mentioned, the files are just as big as if the pdf file is there...just no image. I get around it by not using that feature and compose to pdf only or if the background is small enough I just rasterize the file into a .jpg or .tif file in Photoshop and use that instead. This however greatly slows down the system for FusionPro since an 8.5x5.5 300dpi+ image can be 40-50MB or more in size instead of a .5 - 1MB pdf file.

Archived