Unruly returns????

Anyone else having an issue with unruly returns? We seem to have almost zero control over return keystrokes being accepted in the templates.

:confused: It is adding in returns where we don't have them.

:confused: It is taking returns out when we do put them in.

:confused: It is also adding more returns than what we added and cannot delete them.

:confused: The extra returns happen whether the text is copied and pasted in or typed directly into the system.

We are starting to more thoroughly document this on our end. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue.

Where exactly are you seeing these "unruly returns?" How are you entering them? Is this in the Variable Text Editor dialog in FusionPro Desktop? Or somewhere else? Are the returns being added and dropped in the editor, or in the output? Can you attach a sample job which demonstrates the problem?

Although this is happening on more than this one template, here are the issues I'm having with a specific template right now. Please see the markup in the attached pdfs called "CaseCompetitionTest_08052011_v1.pdf" and "CaseCompetitionTest_08052011_v2.pdf" to see what the system is outputting. The file "11_120_CaseCompTemplate_8.5x11_FINAL.pdf" is an example of what it should output like.

Has this happened with other users? We aren't sure right now if it is only on the rich text enabled fields or not. We use rich text on most of our templates. We have this problem on most of our templates.

CaseCompetitionTest_08052011_v1.pdf

CaseCompetitionTest_08052011_v2.pdf

11_120_CaseCompTemplate_8.5x11_FINAL.pdf

I would have to see the FusionPro template to examine exactly what's in the text frames to be able to determine why you're getting those "extra" returns. Once again, can you please collect up a sample job which demonstrates the problem? Not just the output, but the job files.

Also, I have to ask you once again to please tell me exactly where you're entering this text. Is it in Variable Text Editor dialog in FusionPro Desktop, in Acrobat? Or is it in the Rich Text Editor in MarcomCentral, in your web browser? If it's the latter, then this question belongs on the MarcomCentral forum.

At any rate, I really need to see the job itself to analyze it.

I have no idea if this is a problem with FusionPro or with MarcomCentral. I have absolutely no way of knowing why the returns are being added, therefore I don't know which of the two forums in which to post. Presumably since it is in MarcomCentral, it could be any step along the path of getting it to that point.

I am testing it in MarcomCentral as a live template preview. It is an actual output of the template. The preview in FusionPro plugin for Acrobat looks normal, with the caveat that I can't completely accurately test there. I can't test a typical entry of text for all fields there since I can only input one line with no returns, so I can't verify that all text is working properly.

The rich text editor on the MarcomCentral live template preview can be typed in, then I render the pdf, and the system has added in extra space. Sometimes I can go back in the rich text editor and see the extra returns. If I can see them, I delete them in the rich text editor, then render the pdf again, and it adds them all over again.

Here are the job files from your last request. You did not ask for collected job files, or at least not clearly.

To the best of your knowledge, do my collected job files look properly set up? If so, would you feel pretty confident that the issues are related to the MarcomCentral site?

2 upload.zip

Thanks, and sorry for any confusion. I was trying to determine where you were typing in the text. I know you don't know where it's getting munged, but I don't know either, and I need to know where it's originating so I can figure it out. And I certainly can't figure it out just by looking at the output, which is why I asked you to attach a sample job. Most FusionPro jobs don't involve MarcomCentral at all, so knowing whether or not that's a factor is a huge clue in knowing where to start my investigation. Your last message is the first one in which you mentioned MarcomCentral at all. That's why I kept asking.

If the issue showed up with text you were typing into FusionPro Desktop, or into a data file which you were using to compose in FP Desktop, then it would be an issue on that end. But since the job seems to work fine in FP Desktop with the sample data you collected, and you're having issues when you type the data into a form in MarcomCentral, this appears to be a MarcomCentral issue, specifically related to its Rich Text Control. Therefore, you should start a new thread in that forum, and someone there might be able to help. However, your best bet to get your question answered quickly, instead of using this User Forum, on which the vast majority of members are not MarcomCentral users, is to contact Support or your CPM.

Thank you for the suggestion to check out the MarcomCentral forum. I'm waiting authorization to enter that forum. I have been working with my CPM but thought I would see if others are also having this issue, especially if it is something for which a solution has been figured out.

No solutions yet, but I did hear from my CPM that confirmed my template setup looks fine.

When I switched some fields that were having problems to single line text area or multi line text area with rich text editor disabled, it made the returns and spacing go back to the way it was originally intended. I think there is some problem with the template on the level of the rich text editor.

The problem is, what is making the error and is there a solution? I've also notified my CPM.

Archived