Editing Entity Definition File

I am currently using FusionPro 7.1. I made a product that had bullet points in it. When the product was uploaded to my site, it was obvious that FP does not provide standard support for bullet points as they showed as question marks. It seems that possibly editing the entity definition file could fix the problem. Is this the right place to be for fixing this issue? If so, which file needs to get changed? in the Tags Reference Guide, it says to edit a .def file, but there isn't one in the folder where I created this product. The instructions in the reference guide are confusing. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I am currently using FusionPro 7.1. I made a product that had bullet points in it. When the product was uploaded to my site,

What site? Do you mean MarcomCentral? If so, please post your question in the MarcomCentral forum.

it was obvious that FP does not provide standard support for bullet points as they showed as question marks.

Well, FusionPro does support bullets, but like many special characters, there are some caveats: if you're in tagged markup, you need to use an entity, the font has to support that character, etc.

Where are these bullet points coming from? Are they in data from your input file? From a rule? From a web form entry? Somewhere else?

It seems that possibly editing the entity definition file could fix the problem.

No, I don't think so, especially if the problem occurs when you upload the file for composition on some other remote machine, since the entity.def file on your machine only affects local compositions.

In any case, the entity.def file does contain the • entity, so I think it's a matter of fixing something in the job to call out that entity correctly, not modifying the entity.def file.

No I do not use MarcomCentral. The site I use is an eAccess site that is supported by Avanti Systems. The font used is Times New Roman, which I believe supports bullets. The bullets are coming from variable data. This product will offer a number of adresses for the customer to choose. The addresses come from a picklist setup in FusionPro. The address and city, state, and zip code are divided by a bullet. This is where the bullets show up, in the pick list of addresses. I am assuming that I'll have to edit the tagged markup in some way to activate certain characters, such as a bullet. Is this correct? Or is there another way?

One more thing. I just tested out the product again on my site. I forgot to mention bullets also divide the address with their phone numbers. Those divisions are built into the card, and DO show up on the site. But, they still don't show up in the picklist...How oh how will we be able to get the bullets to show in the picklist?

If the bullets are defined in the pick list items themselves, then the problem is likely in Avanti's web application, which reads in the user's selections from a web form and writes the input data file for FusionPro. The web application needs to filter out specific characters from the user's selections (whether from a pick list or simply from free-form text entry) and replace them with entities when it creates the tagged markup data file for composition.

It's possible that you could tweak your pick list items to specifically use the • entity as a workaround, but that also depends on exactly how the web app is handling the web form entries. While I can try to make some suggestions, I can't really speak to how Avanti's system works in this regard; you would have to ask them.

It would help if you could collect up the job and post it here, or send it to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Then I (or someone else) can see exactly what you're doing, and will likely be able to provide more specific help. Also, please provide specific information about the versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system.

I sent the job files to that email. Thanks.

Great, thanks. If you could contact someone at Avanti and get them to send the actual input data file generated by their web app and sent to FusionPro for the online composition, as well as the composition log (.msg) file, and then pass those along to us, that would be extremely helpful as well.

Archived