Versioned Product download question

I have a question about enabling users to get a download of a versioned product.

Can a product be set up so that the user can order printed copies or just a download? I know we can make the product downloadable after the summary page if they order 1 copy BUT two things are apparent using this approach:

1. This will look to us (the supplier) as a print order for 1 copy.

2. The user would have to go through the shipping screen to get to the order summary page… and obviously there would be no shipping applicable to a download only.

In order to avoid this scenario, do I have to set the same product up as two products – one for ordering printed copies and one for ordering a download only with shipping disabled?

Am I missing some option that I can’t find in the help section or on the forums?

• 2 months later...

Crineman,

We have a new Product feature called On-Demand Delivery. You can allow the Product to be emailed or available for download. Using this feature you would be able to Hide the Qty selection, yet still charge for the item. In addition, you can Disable Shipping for the Product.

If you would also want the User to be able to order the Product for print, I would suggest copying the Product. That way you would be able to isolate the download Product from the Print version of the Product.

There is more detail about this new feature in the release notes and it is also documented in the Help for MarcomCentral.

Release Notes for July

Hope this helps

Thanks Richard. We've been using this new capability frequently since its release. We find almost all of the time that clients want their products available in both print & download.

Hey, brings up a different question. The literature says (or by its exclusion doesn't say) that a pick product can have a download available. I set up a pick product yesterday with download as an option and it seems to work - meaning it displays properly in the store with a download button. Can a pick product have a download option or is the system going to blow up in some way even though it looks right?

Thanks - Craig

Crineman,

The entire idea about the On-Demand Delivery is to provide you with the output that your customer wants. Pick Products setup with download capabilities, will still trigger a Pick Ticket and the inventory reduction. As far as how you (or the Supplier) handles it, it is up to you.

The Product/system will not "blow up"; our intent in offering this kind of functionality is that you would have a Download version of the Product and a Print (or Fulfillment in your case). If you are using one Product to be defined as both, you will have to manage the side affects that can accompany it.

Hope this helps

Archived