Graphic tag outside story tag?

esmith

When placing multi-page PDFs as resources using overflow pages and text frames, I have always used the method provided in this thread which creates inline graphic tags in text frames.

I currently have a project in which I would like to scale the graphics I am importing and center the contents on their respective pages. When I look through the TagsRefGuide, I see an option for "Graphic Tags Outside Story Tag" (pp 43-44) which offers properties such as scale, alignh and clip. How do I use this type of graphic tag rather than the "Graphic Tag Inside Story Tag" used in the aforementioned example?

Is the latter method only available to tagged data sources, and if so, do I have any options for alignment/clipping using non-tagged data?

When placing multi-page PDFs as resources using overflow pages and text frames, I have always used the method provided in this thread which creates inline graphic tags in text frames.

I currently have a project in which I would like to scale the graphics I am importing and center the contents on their respective pages. When I look through the TagsRefGuide, I see an option for "Graphic Tags Outside Story Tag" (pp 43-44) which offers properties such as scale, alignh and clip. How do I use this type of graphic tag rather than the "Graphic Tag Inside Story Tag" used in the aforementioned example?

Is the latter method only available to tagged data sources, and if so, do I have any options for alignment/clipping using non-tagged data?

Yes, it is only for tagged markup, but more importantly, it's only for graphics placed into graphic frames, not for inline graphics in text frames.

"Graphic Tag Outside Story Tag" means a graphic being placed into a graphic frame (copyhole). If you're placing a graphic into a graphic frame, then you can control scaling, alignment, and clipping relative to the frame, either with attributes of the <graphic> tag (for tagged markup input), or with the controls on the Graphic Frame Properties palette (which is how this is usually done in FusionPro).

"Graphic Tag Inside Story Tag" means an inline graphic being placed into a text frame (story). For inline graphics, you can only specify the width and height in pixels, with attributes of the <graphic> tag. You can't automatically scale (or align or clip) an inline graphic into a text frame.

The whole point of an inline graphic is that the graphic flows with the text, just like any other text character glyph. It's exactly like how a smiley :) here on the forum (or any other HTML page) is inline (flows) with the text you type.

The inserting multi-page PDF pages example uses inline graphics so that an unknown number of the graphics can flow into overflow pages as text. If you scale the graphics (the external resource PDF pages) smaller, you'll just flow them differently, so you might get more than one on an output page.

Unfortunately, this means that with that particular example, you pretty much have to have all the pages be the same size, because they're inline graphics. If, however, you know the number of pages that are being inserted, you can use extra body pages with graphic frames on them, one to hold each page you're inserting, and then you can indeed scale each page image in its corresponding graphic frame (using the controls on the Graphic Frame Properties palette).

Archived