Change multiple field values based on input of other text field

bmauer

Can anyone help me figure out how to change the value(s) of multiple text fields when the user enters something into another text field?

I have 4 text fields: ID, Name, Address, Email and I prefill the fields based on profile Attributes. If the user enters an ID, the value of the Name, Address, Email should change (using a database) and be editable.

Any help is appreciated

This question is specific to MarcomCentral and has therefore been moved to that forum.

Bill,

This type of functionality requires the use of an External Datafile (XDF), not Profile Attributes. With Profile Attributes the user either has an attribute or not, it is based on their User ID not a value entered in the form.

With an XDF, you can do a look-up based on your ID field, into the XDF. When there is a match, it can return field values from the XDF into the form in the Store. This exact scenario is covered in our Advanced FPD webinar which is held monthly, contact your CPM if you wish to attend one of these. It is based on the Location Name and that location is looked-up and the address details are displayed in the template. When you use an XDF file you must asko upload your XDF to a specified section in the Manager (Catalog > Form/Template Setup > External Datafiles). Below you will find the files used in that example:

http://files.printable.com/FPD_Advanced_Files/3-XDF_Lookup.zip

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response, Im reviewing the supplied files but I'm not sure that it will do exactly what I need.

I see that the information is being pulled from the external data file and that when the template is previewed, that information will populate the PDF.

Does this also populate the form field(s) on the webpage so that the user can edit it as well, or does the text just appear in the PDF? I know if I use Profile Attributes, I can pre-fill the form fields and the user can still edit it.

Bill,

You are correct, you cannot have this information fill the form.

With Profile Attributes you cannot change the attribute values based on the input of a field, you can only determine User's values based on their User ID.

You should explain this completely and discuss this with your CPM for a better assessment of the template.

Cheers

Archived