Output in ordered "chunks"

I am relaying this from another party, so please bear with me.

A customer wants to output a large record set to 5 page booklets to be saddle stitched, using FusionPro Desktop and a Fiery-enabled output device. The issue that is being reported is that the output device is receiving all records in one PDF, and output results in a report that there are too many pages.

At first we thought the answer was simple, to use the 'Output to multiple files' feature on composing. Then we learned that there is a postal sort of the data involved, and that a bunch of ambiguously-ordered pdf's would not work.

In summary, the customer wants a way to send the output one booklet at a time, in order, out of FusionPro. We are also looking for way to do this with the help of Fiery functionality.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ambiguously-ordered pdf's." The records are output in the same order that FusionPro sees them in the input file. If you're outputting each record to its own file, then the first output file will be composed from the first input record in the data source. I don't see anything ambiguous about that. If you need the records sorted, you should sort the input data.

You can also use the OnNewInputFile callback rule to set FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName based on a data field, to name each output file by a key in the input data for its record.

Archived