Delete large list of resources

arwolfe

Hello all,

I have a job, which I run every month, where I call on a large list (100s) of resources. Each month I would like to remove the entire set of resources and link in a new set. How can I accomplish this without clicking delete on overy resource?

Thanks

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. What would be the best approach to your strategy? Use the onRecordStart event to create the resource and leave the Field definition (Graphic) the same? Or change the frame source to a rule which returns the resource?

On a related note, can the search paths be set in the onJobStart event so that I do not need to supply the absolute path to the resource being created?

Thanks for the feedback. What would be the best approach to your strategy? Use the onRecordStart event to create the resource and leave the Field definition (Graphic) the same? Or change the frame source to a rule which returns the resource?

You can simply create a Graphic rule which calls CreateResource with the field name, and give the rule the same name as the field, and any frame referencing that field/rule name will call the rule. You don't need to use OnRecordStart.

On a related note, can the search paths be set in the onJobStart event so that I do not need to supply the absolute path to the resource being created?

You can specify the search path on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog. Or you can simply prepend the path to the file name in the Graphic rule. But I recommend using the Composition Settings; this makes your job more portable.

You can simply create a Graphic rule which calls CreateResource with the field name, and give the rule the same name as the field, and any frame referencing that field/rule name will call the rule. You don't need to use OnRecordStart.

Sounds good. So creating a rule with the same name as a Field effectively overrides that Field?

You can specify the search path on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog. Or you can simply prepend the path to the file name in the Graphic rule. But I recommend using the Composition Settings; this makes your job more portable.

How does this impact the preview funtionality? Will FP use the search paths from the composition dialog when it builds the preview?

Sounds good. So creating a rule with the same name as a Field effectively overrides that Field?

Yes.

How does this impact the preview funtionality? Will FP use the search paths from the composition dialog when it builds the preview?

Yes, it uses the Search Path for both Preview and regular (non-Preview) compositions.

Archived