Smart Quotes

rjinks

Here is Support Issue I sent to Printable. "I have pre-filled text with quotes, aposterphe and reversed aposterphe. When I go to add new quotes and aposterphe, it sets the type as inch and foot marks. I went into the Fusion Pro PDF template and made sure all of the fonts were loaded. I tried to set the type again in Firefox (Mac) & Internet Explorer (Windows) and the problem still occurred. This problem also occurred in ID 19 Traditional Invite."

The reply was that I have to apply a Java Script Rule to every text field that I need Smart Quotes. This is a bit disconcerning. ¿Why does the Smart Quote work with the Pre-fill text and not entered text? I tested everything with the Pre-fill text. I thought I was ready to go live. I have over 50 templates with several text fields that the Java Script rule needs to be applied.

All the desktop publishing software today has a Smart Quote feature that is automatic or turned on by a click of a button. I really think Printable should incorporate the Smart Quote feature into the software.

If there are any way to streamline applying the Smart Quote Java Script, please advise.

Thanks,

ROGER

CL 310-663-9275

I figured out why the Pre-filled text works with Smart Quotes. I copied the text from our InDesign templates that had Smart Quotes (curly quotes). I suspect that the coding copied over. This issue really needs to get emphasized in training of Marcom Central and Fusion Desktop Pro. Again, I really feel that automatic Smart Quotes needs to be incorporated into Marcom Central.

The Printable Tech Support gave me this Javascript for a Rule, but it does not work.

RTE Version

var s = Field("PlainText");

s = s.replace(/"(?=[\w|$][^<>]*<)/g, "&ldquor;");

s = s.replace(/"(?=[^<>]*<)/g, "&rdquor;");

s = s.replace(/'(?=[\w|$][^<>]*<)/g, " &lsquor;");

s = s.replace(/'(?=[^<>]*<)/g, "&rsquor;");

Regular field Version

var s = Field("PlainText");

s = s.replace(/"(?=\w|$)/g, "&ldquor;");

s = s.replace(/"/g, "&rdquor;");

s = s.replace(/\s'(?=\w|$)/g, " &lsquor;");

s = s.replace(/'/g, "&rsquor;");

I entered this into an empty Rule and does not Validate.

var s = Field("Body");

s = s.replace(/"(?=\w|$)/g, "&ldquor;");

s = s.replace(/"/g, "&rdquor;");

s = s.replace(/\s'(?=\w|$)/g, " &lsquor;");

s = s.replace(/'/g, "&rsquor;");

¿Can anybody help?

ROGER

CL310-663-9275

I'm not sure I understand exactly where you're entering the text, and by extension, whether the problem is really in FusionPro or in some other web application that's leveraging FusionPro.

I tried to set the type again in Firefox (Mac) & Internet Explorer (Windows) and the problem still occurred.

Can you tell me more about this? In what context are you entering text into your web browser? Is it MarcomCentral? Or is some other web-based application? If so, which one?

Let's start from there, and then I can try to help further.

The problem is occurring in the LMU Marcom Central Storefront. When I copied the special characters from InDesign and pasted in the form field the code came over. When text is entered, it is only ASCII characters. Tech support gave Java Script code for Rule. But, there are over fifty templates with several fields that need Smart Quotes.

So, I decided to put a note in the instructions on Storefront template. Attached is screen shot.

The problem is occurring in the LMU Marcom Central Storefront. When I copied the special characters from InDesign and pasted in the form field the code came over. When text is entered, it is only ASCII characters. Tech support gave Java Script code for Rule. But, there are over fifty templates with several fields that need Smart Quotes.

Please ask MarcomCentral-specific questions in the MarcomCentral forum. It's monitored by folks who know more about the details of that system, as opposed to FusionPro in general, which is the focus of this Desktop-specific forum.

So, I decided to put a note in the instructions on Storefront template. Attached is screen shot.

The attachment didn't work. You need to click the "Manage Attachments" button under "Additional Options" in the Advanced view.

Archived