Quick Overview of Mailing List in Excel

brad_12

Hi I'm taking over the digital print area here and I have some variable date postcards I need to put addresses on. I just kind of wanted a quick run through of how you would go about that.

The mailing list is an excel spreadsheet with each column having name, address, and state and zip.

I've watched the guy before me do it, but haven't done it myself.

Need help quick!

Thanks

This is a pretty basic VDP job. The usual way to do this is to export the data from Excel to a tab-delimited file, and import that as a data source into FusionPro. Then you can create a text frame and insert the variable field names for the address data. Take a look at the Cell Phone tutorial.

• 3 months later...

I too have a "basic" VDP job, but I am a brand new FP user. The problem I have is a deadline of this coming Friday morning to get this job out. Here are the specs. I really appreciate someone helping me with this.

FP Desktop (purchased and downloaded on 3-16-11)

Customer supplied MS Word file and Excell spreadsheet data file.

The only Variable Data is the "name, address, city, state, zip" block.

The video tutorials were helpful but I feel my tight deadline leaves no room for lost time. Help!:)

FP Desktop (purchased and downloaded on 3-16-11)

Customer supplied MS Word file and Excell spreadsheet data file.

The only Variable Data is the "name, address, city, state, zip" block

Basically what you need to do is save or print the Word document to a PDF, and save the Excel document to a CSV or tab-delimited format, and then open the PDF in Acrobat and click the "big orange F" button, and click through to assign the CSV or tab-delimited file as the flat-file input for the job. Then you can use the "Draw Text Frame" tool to create a variable text frame, and then edit the text to insert the variables from the data.

The video tutorials were helpful but I feel my tight deadline leaves no room for lost time. Help!:)

It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to do what I described and play around a bit with the job. Again, the Cell Phone tutorial has an example of a basic address field frame.

Archived