Rules or Fields not showing up in Graphic Frame palette

jimcaldwell

I have some odd glitch where I try to set a Field or Rule to a graphic frame, but they do not show up.

I just created a new rule and it will not show... I get the same error all the time with the fields not showing up either.

Any clue what could be stopping it?

Using Mac SnowLeopard with FPD 7 latest release

You can't assign a field to a graphic frame; only a rule. Also, the rule must be a graphic rule. I once made a text rule that returned a graphic element and couldn't understand for the longest time why my rule wasn't available in the graphic frame's drop down! :)

You can't assign a field to a graphic frame; only a rule.

This isn't actually true; you can go into the Fields dialog and set the type of a field to Graphic, and it will indeed show up in the "Field or Rule" list for the Graphic Frame. (That's why it's "Field or Rule," not just "Rule.") In this case, the field value specifies a named graphic resource (by the resource name, not the file name) in the job. (If you're using tagged markup input, graphic copyholes specified with <graphic> tags instead of <story> tags are automatically considered Graphic fields.) See the section in the User Guide titled "Switching to a graphic field" for more information.

Also, the rule must be a graphic rule. I once made a text rule that returned a graphic element and couldn't understand for the longest time why my rule wasn't available in the graphic frame's drop down! :)

Yes, only Graphic fields and Graphic rules appear in the "Field or Rule" list for Graphic frames. A text rule returning a <graphic> tag is used for an inline graphic, which goes in a Text frame.

I have some odd glitch where I try to set a Field or Rule to a graphic frame, but they do not show up.

I just created a new rule and it will not show... I get the same error all the time with the fields not showing up either.

What exactly is not showing up?

Do you mean that the name of the field or rule doesn't appear in the drop-down list in the Frame Properties palette for a Graphic frame? If so, then you need to specify a Graphic field or a Graphic rule.

Or do you mean that the graphic doesn't show up in Preview? If so, try doing a full composition and look in the log file for any warning messages. I'll bet it's not finding the graphic; you probably don't have the path correct.

Archived