Accented characters

CSemrau

I am having problems getting a "Latin small letter s with caron" to display/compose properly. I have copied and pasted in text from a customer supplied word document into several different formatted text resources. The formatted text contains a foreign name which uses the accented character. Honestly, I don't understand all the ANSI, ISO-8859-1 and MacRoman character set stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a double-byte Unicode character. Therefore, you need to go into the "Advanced" tab of the Composition Settings dialog and uncheck the "Limit processing..." box. There should be a warning message in your composition log (.msg) file telling you as much.

Dan,

Thanks for the quick response. However, I'm still encountering problems with this character. I "unchecked" the Limit processing box under the advanced tab of the composition window and received the following error during composition...

Error handling Unicode output, character 353 (0x161)

I "inserted" the character from the Character Palette (Mac OSX) into the text editor window in FP. It displays fine in the text editor window, however, it completely "drops off" in preview mode and after composition.

Dan,

I have successfully replicated the error using other fonts (ie. Helvetica, Arial), so I can't pin the problem to the specific font being used (Times New RomanPS).

Other than the accented character issue, this job is far from complicated. I've done a collect through FP, and the .zip file contains a Sample.pdf showing the problem in question.

I was having problems uploading/attaching the .zip file to my post, so I will give you, or whomever, a link to get to the file(s).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

http://files.cedargraphicsinc.com/downloads/cedar_graphics/86647_FProTemplate2_Folder.zip

Okay, thanks. Can you do me a favor and either reduce the job to something simpler which demonstrates the problem, or tell me where exactly to look for the character in question?

Also, when I open up your job and go to the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog, the "Limit processing to Latin-1/MacRoman text" box is still checked. Again, you need to UNCHECK this box.

You may also need to go into the FusionPro -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings dialog and check the "Enable Asian character support" box and re-load fonts.

When I compose your job with these settings, I don't get any errors about Unicode in the log file, but again, I'm not sure where to look for the accented character in the output. But if I simply insert an accented character using the Character Palette into a text frame in a Unicode font, it comes out fine.

http://forums.printable.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&d=1281027280

AccentedChar.jpg.cc810de4aebc47f1c5ca2cb5a5e62c84.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

I just recomposed the file with the Limit processing box "unchecked" and the enable Asian character support box "checked". I didn't receive any errors during composition, however the output is incorrect. Attached are 2 .jpg files. Problem in question is located in the last paragraph on pg1 of the 86647_SAMPLE.pdf file that was included in my zipped file.

The font I need to use is Times New Roman.http://files.cedargraphicsinc.com/downloads/cedar_graphics/86647_1upTEST3.jpg

Okay, sorry for the delay. This seems to be a bug in FusionPro on the Mac. I've created case FP-11443 regarding this issue, and it's currently being investigated.

The issue seems to affect only certain Unicode characters in certain fonts, and only on Mac. The character in question is "š" (Latin Small Letter S With Caron), Unicode 353 (0x161), and related "caron" characters have the same problem.

I was able to get the character to compose in Arial Unicode MS. So one option you have for now as a workaround is to go into the Text Editor and put the character in that font. Another option is to compose the job on Windows.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will post here again with any updates on this issue.

Archived