GS1 - 128 Bar Code

markriley

I'm trying to use a GS1-128 Barcode in a mailing label project.

The two default Code 128 barcodes keep getting rejected by the postoffice as non GS1 compliant.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Mark Riley

Holland Litho Printing Service

Zeeland, MI

For mailing, I would think SatBar @ 12 pts would do the job.

I would do a "test" mailer with this font and bring it to the PO to have tested before submitting another job.

I would also start learning about Intelligent Mail Barcoding for the future.

rpaterick - thanks for the quick reply.

The mail label goes on bound printed matter being sent as a parcel. According to our mailing department you can't use postnet or IMBC on this type of mailing.

We do regularly use IMBC for normal "mail" mailings and they work great.

Thanks again,

Mark

We do regularly use IMBC for normal "mail" mailings and they work great.

Thanks again,

Mark

Ahh, gotcha.

Would the software company that generates the code for the barcode be able to tell you what "font" and what "pt. size" you should use on the mailing?

I'm not familiar with Parcel mailings and I'm curious as to how this works also.

• 2 weeks later...

The GS1 barcode (previously known as UCC/EAN 128) is what you need for a parcel mailing. The trick to it is that there's a function character that needs to be embedded at the start of it.

FusionPro does have a MakeEAN128Barcode() rule which should be what you need, though I've never used it so I can't really say how it works. But when you're done the barcode should scan as the F1, then "420", and then the 5-digit zip code. If you have a barcode reader that can identify the type of barcode so you can verify that you have a UCC/EAN rather than probably a USS if you're missing the F1, that's a good help too.

You'll need to display the word "ZIP" plus the 5-digit zip in human readable text at least an eighth inch below the barcode too.

Archived