Limit Text Field Input Choice to 6 out of 7

I have 7 text field options on a business card. My client wants to limit the input to only 6 of the 7 fields. I'm not sure where to start... rules, javascript or can this even be done? Thanks as always, Julie

These are my fields:

1. Name

2. Job Title

3. Website

4. Face Book Address

5. Twitter Address

6. Phone Number

7. Cell Number

I have 7 text field options on a business card. My client wants to limit the input to only 6 of the 7 fields.

What exactly do you mean by "limit the input?" Where? Is this on an web form of some kind, or some other data input form? If it's in MarcomCentral, please ask in that forum.

My product is versioned business card template created in FusionPro Desktop 5.1 which will be added to an online store catalog. There will be seven text fields.

1. Name

2. Job Title

3. Website

4. Face Book Address

5. Twitter Address

6. Phone Number

7. Cell Number

The customer wants to limit their end users to just filling in 6 of the 7 text fields. If they fill in all 7 fields they should be alerted that they may only choose 6 of the available fields to print on their cards.

For example:

Name would always be required plus they could choose no more than 5 of the remaining fields to be printed on their cards.

*Name + Job Title + Website + FBK + Twit + Phone

*Name + Job Title + Website + FBK + Twit + Cell

*Name + Job Title + Website + FBK + Phone + Cell

*Name + Job Title + Website + Twit + Phone + Cell

*Name + Job Title + FBK + Twit + Phone + Cell

*Name + Website + FBK + Twit + Phone + Cell

Sorry I did not make this clearer.

My recommendation would be to have paired name/value fields, making the name fields dropdowns utilizing the Selective Exclusion UI rules in MarcomCentral. To do this, you would have 5 drop-down/text field pairs; for the dropdowns you would use a library list containing the fields available (title, facebook, twitter, phone, etc.). Then, under each dropdown you would have a text field where the user could enter the appropriate data. In your data you would have fields something to the effect of 'Field1Type', 'Field1Value', 'Field2Type', 'Field2Value', etc.

You wouldn't be able to force the fields to be in a specific order, but they would be mutually exclusive at least. You could set default prefills for each dropdown if you wanted to have a suggested order.

Obviously if you want to perform any specific formatting (like phone numbers), you would have to write those rules in desktop to check the type of field selected for each.

-Joe

My choice would be to use the Conditional Visibility UI Rule instead. Your Business Card Type would be a Text Library Pull-Down Menu containing the six choices listed above. After the user makes that choice, only the fields they need to fill out become visible. Makes for a very user-friendly experience.

The fields would be conditionally displayed in a fixed order based in the Form Display tab. Yes, forced formatting need to be done in the JavaScript rules.

Archived