Pick List/Drop List

• 8 months later...

I found a workaround. I just edited the XML file in the Zip file and changed the value to a space. Works fine when published to DSF.

Since the XML file obviously supports returning just a space, why isn't a space allowed as a value in the pick list in FP?

Where exactly is the XLS and what would be the Logic? :-)

The XSL file is whatever your application is using to transform the XML file to HTML for display on a web page. Presumably this is some kind of custom web application. I can't really guess what application that might be...until your next message where you say you're using the DSF. So the answer is that it's an XSL file that's part of EFI's DSF application. However, it's probably basically just the sample XSL which ships with FusionPro Desktop. The idea is that custom web applications can use their own XSL to create whatever kind of form they want.

I found a workaround. I just edited the XML file in the Zip file and changed the value to a space. Works fine when published to DSF.

Since the XML file obviously supports returning just a space, why isn't a space allowed as a value in the pick list in FP?

It simply wasn't considered in the design. Why would you have an empty item to select? What does that mean to the user, and why would the user make such a selection?

• 5 weeks later...
It simply wasn't considered in the design. Why would you have an empty item to select? What does that mean to the user, and why would the user make such a selection?

In this case it is a business card where the end user choose which department they belong too. The selection produces a sub logo (in text) under their main logo. One of the department choices are the HQ, which has no sub logo. So I wanted the return value to be none.

There may be another way to do this that negates the need for an empty value return, but I don't know what that would be. How would you do it?

--

I use Fusion Pro 6, and publish on Digital Store Front

In this case it is a business card where the end user choose which department they belong too. The selection produces a sub logo (in text) under their main logo. One of the department choices are the HQ, which has no sub logo. So I wanted the return value to be none.

It sounds like you want a parent/child relationship between two fields, where the "sub logo" field is a child of the "department" field. It's perfectly valid to have an empty child value for a parent option.

There may be another way to do this that negates the need for an empty value return, but I don't know what that would be. How would you do it?

Well, I'm not sure I completely understand what you're doing. Can you post the job?

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm not sure I completely understand what you're doing. Can you post the job?

This problem has resurfaced and is giving me problems. Let me try to explain it again:

Ok, I'm making a VDP business card in FP that are going to be uploaded to DSF. So I use the HTML form so that the customer can fill in the variable data.

Now, one of the fields is a department field. The customer wants a pick list so that they can choose from a list of existing departments. The list is simple, with the prompt and value beeing the same.

Appearently some of the people that need business cards doesn't belong to any of those departments, so the customer wants the department to be blank.

So, for instance

Pick list:

- Marketing (return=Marketing)

- Finance (return=Finance)

- None (return= )

But, as I said, the pick list doesn't allow just a space, so it has to contain something.

Do you understand now?

But, as I said, the pick list doesn't allow just a space, so it has to contain something.

I see. I've created case FP-11631 about this issue, which is that the dialog doesn't allow an empty Pick List value. For now, I still recommend making the value for the "none" prompt something like a period (dot), which you can then handle specially in your rules in the job.

• 5 months later...
Hi, I am having the same issue. Have put a dot in the "None" field & created a rule to delete the dot. However I can't seem to figure out how to "Suppress" the line completely so that the text above and/or below moves up or down into that line. Using the "suppress if empty" option, again only seems to delete the dot but not the whole line. Any idea what I can do? Thanks =)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I am having the same issue. Have put a dot in the "None" field & created a rule to delete the dot. However I can't seem to figure out how to "Suppress" the line completely so that the text above and/or below moves up or down into that line. Using the "suppress if empty" option, again only seems to delete the dot but not the whole line. Any idea what I can do? Thanks =)

If the line is truly empty, then "Suppress if empty" should work. I can't really tell why it's not without looking at the job.

Archived