Wingdings character not Composing/Previewing

pmhapp

[http://img.skitch.com/20100329-xk4614b7wrkj568wx82y594f9u.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

FusionPro PDF was exporting using InDesign Plugin.

Character is using the font Wingdings 2.

It shows fine in Variable Text Editor, but not in the Preview, or when it composes.

FP 6.2P1a.

I have "Limit to MacRoman text" unchecked.

I have Asian character support enabled.

I have cleaned my font caches and FusionPro Reload All fonts multiple times.

Is this a Unicode problem?

Making progress I think.

Found the previous thread you are referencing.

Rule font callout not working

But my character is unicode, so I mimic'd and modified the rule as such:

if (Field("FirstName1") != "")
{
return "<f name=\"Wingdings 2\">" + "<z newsize=18>" + "<unicode>f099</unicode>";
}

return "";

Does my implementation look correct? Cause now I'm returning "fname=\"Wingdings2\"G" upon Composition (still no errors in .msg or .err)

You can try copying the text from the Text Editor for the text frame into a Formatted Text Resource and then clicking "View Source" to see what the name of the font is in the generated <f name=***> tag. Beyond that, I would contact Support for help with font-specific problems.

In your rule, are you checking the "return as tagged" box? Also, it looks like you are missing characters in your rule. This:

"<f name=\"Wingdings 2\">" + "<z newsize=18>" + "<unicode>f099</unicode></f>"

should be this:

"<f name=\"Wingdings 2\"><z newsize=18><unicode>f099</unicode></f>"

Also, it looks like you are missing characters in your rule. This:

"<f name=\"Wingdings 2\">" + "<z newsize=18>" + "<unicode>f099</unicode></f>"

should be this:

"<f name=\"Wingdings 2\"><z newsize=18><unicode>f099</unicode></f>"

Not to nitpick, but those two code snippets return exactly the same thing. One is concatenating multiple string literals with the + operator, and the other just has everything in a single string literal, but the result is identical.

Not to nitpick, but those two code snippets return exactly the same thing. One is concatenating multiple string literals with the + operator, and the other just has everything in a single string literal, but the result is identical.

Touché.

I'm thinking your problem stems from trying to use PC-specific unicode numbers on the Mac. I'm guessing that if you typed the correct keyboard character instead of using the unicode ID, you'd get the symbol you're trying to use without issue.

I'm guessing that if you typed the correct keyboard character instead of using the unicode ID, you'd get the symbol you're trying to use without issue.

There wasn't a corresponding keyboard character.

I switched the job to Windows, switched the font to Windings, and still had to switch the characters. It was very weird.

Archived