Random Numbering

I have a job coming in that requires "random" numbering. We are quoting 16-up on an imposition, in quantities between 10,000 and 25,000. The numbering needs to be random and will be like "107A" or "327G." I thumbed through the FusionPro user's guide and did searches here on the user forum and didn't see anything like it. Is this possible with FusionPro 6?

I am a novice user of FusionPro; really all I have done is use it for sequential numbering, but I am an expert on imposition. Can the sequential numbering script be altered to random numbering or random numbering with a letter?

Unfortunately at this time we have no idea what the acceptable range is. I just need to know if it's possible so when we win the bid, we can actually produce the job. Thank you for the script... I think the range will be somewhere between 00001 and 10000 with possibly a letter, but since we are biding 25000, the range may extend to that. The letter may or may not be used as well, and the letter may or may not be random... and/or it might be random whereas some items get the letter and some do not. At this point we just don't know. Customers like to get bids by providing the least amount of information possible... like we're Jedi and we know what they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have a new question to add to this as the job draws nigh. From the customer: "Can fusion pro print a log of the numbers for the client to cross reference (SO that they can lookup the number and make sure the number is not a forgery)."

This log, of course, coming from the script programmed above in this thread (a random number + a random letter as a take on the "sequential" numbering feature of FusionPro).

Also, just to verify, can the client supply us with numbers in some kind of spread sheet to use instead of us generating them via fusion pro. I think that it must be a .csv file (right) from Excel with the rows and cells properly formatted so FusionPro can incorporate them correctly?

Thanks in advance!!

Now I have a new question to add to this as the job draws nigh. From the customer: "Can fusion pro print a log of the numbers for the client to cross reference (SO that they can lookup the number and make sure the number is not a forgery)."

This log, of course, coming from the script programmed above in this thread (a random number + a random letter as a take on the "sequential" numbering feature of FusionPro).

Also, just to verify, can the client supply us with numbers in some kind of spread sheet to use instead of us generating them via fusion pro. I think that it must be a .csv file (right) from Excel with the rows and cells properly formatted so FusionPro can incorporate them correctly?

Thanks in advance!!

Double post or dejá vu?

It is possible to write the random number to your .msg log file and I would imagine you could similarly write the numbers to a separate text file.

Your last option (customer supplying .csv with list of numbers) is just a basic data file merge. It's such a basic use of FP that I have to question if you've even glanced at the manual? ;)

It's a double post because it went 5 days unanswered. I'm still not conveying the point of the post. I don't want to know theoretically if it is possible; I want to KNOW if it can be done, and what the best way to do it is. If the script above will work for variable numbering, will it also work for adding a random letter? What if some numbers just get a random number, but no letter? Do I need two scripts to have the variation within the same exported imposed file? Yes, I know the Excel .csv can be used; other than printing out the Excel file and comparing it, can FusionPro export a data file of the variable data used for comparison purposes, because almost assuredly the native Excel file would have more variables than actually printed.

Archived