Spot Color Problem

ksulliv1

Hi, I am having trouble applying spot colors in a rule when using the "Change Color" change style option in the wizard.

I have exported a file with the FP plug in so as to assure that the spot colors used are recognized and listed in the color list for FP Designer, and they are. And I have created a couple rules with the wizard to change the color of some fields/variables to be a spot color from the list. And for some reason it will not apply the spot colors. If I change the color in the rule to be one of the standards it works, and if I create a new custom color within the FP color palette it also works. But when I set it to be “PANTONE 2905 C” for instance, it just returns black.

An example of the rule would be: If the text value of the field “Color” begins with “B” Then Return “Change Color” set to "PANTONE 2905 C" of field “Name”

I need the output file to use the actual Pantone colors because it will be going to a Fiery RIP that incorporates the Spot On color adjustment feature. How can I get this to work correctly?

Thanks,

Alex from the email support team at Printable solved this one for me. The code the way the rule wizard created it looked like this:

if (Left(Field("Color"),Len(String("B"))) == String("B"))

{

return "<span>" + "<color name=PANTONE 2905 C>" + Field("Web Address") + "</span>";

And all that was needed because it was a Pantone color and therefore had spaces within the name, was to change that part of the code from:

"<color name=PANTONE 2905 C>"

to:

'<color name="PANTONE 2905 C">'

SO something for us noobs to remember when using a spot color in a JS code.

And all that was needed because it was a Pantone color and therefore had spaces within the name, was to change that part of the code from:

"<color name=PANTONE 2905 C>"

to:

'<color name="PANTONE 2905 C">'

SO something for us noobs to remember when using a spot color in a JS code.

Actually, the fact that it's a spot color is irrelevant. Any color with a space in its name would have the same caveat. For that matter, any time you have an attribute value which contains spaces, on any tag in XML/html-type markup, it has to be enclosed in double quotes. This applies to color tags, font (<f name=xxx>) tags, and many others.

The fact that the Rule Wizard generates tags without the attributes quoted correctly is actually a bug in FusionPro Desktop. I have entered a case about that (FP-11342).

Archived