In-Line graphic creating large gap in text

bharris

I'm setting up a variable letter which consists of a variable plain text resource followed by an in-line static pdf graphic followed by another variable plain text resource. The rule is provided below.

// determines the proper intro

if (Field("Status") == String("Customer"))

var INTRO = Resource("Cust_Intro").content;

else

if (Field("Status") == String("Inactive"))

var INTRO = Resource("Inactive_intro").content;

else

if (Field("Status") == String("New"))

var INTRO = Resource("New09_intro").content;

else

var INTRO = Resource("Prosp_intro").content;

// creates a variable for the Static Text graphic

var STATIC = '<graphic file="J:\\pathtomyfiles\\StaticText.pdf">';

// determines the proper outro

if (Field("Status") == String("Customer"))

var OUTRO = Resource("Cust_outro").content;

else

if (Field("Status") == String("Inactive"))

var OUTRO = Resource("Inactive_outro").content;

else

if (Field("Status") == String("New"))

var OUTRO = Resource("New09_outro").content;

else

var OUTRO = Resource("Prosp_outro").content;

// assembles the body text from the above

return INTRO + STATIC + OUTRO;

My problem is that a large gap is forming between the first variable text and the static graphic, of about four line spaces. There is no such gap after the graphic. This gap appears no matter where I place in in the text. I've double checked the PDF and there are no invisible elements that would account for the gap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Windows XP Sp3

FusionPro Desktop 4.2P1d

OK new problem. I've got the gap fixed, but now the distance between the bottom of the in-line graphic and the following text resource is zero. No amount of \n's have any effect. I can think of several workarounds, but I'd like to know how to fix it the right way.

Is there a way to toggle that off, or must I manually assign a new leading for the second variable text resource?

I'm not quite following you. You should only need to do this before the graphic resource. And if the graphic resource is really "static," then its height won't change, so you shouldn't need to adjust the leading once you have it set. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible since I don't have any of the parts of the job to look at and play around with except for the rule you posted. You're also using a fairly old version of FusionPro.

I've tried a couple of "/" switches that don't seem to have an effect.

I don't understand what you mean by this. What are "/" switches?

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is that after the static graphic, the following text shares the same adjusted leading. I would like to apply the <p leading=2565> to the graphic only, then resume auto leading. Otherwise I have to manually apply it, which doesn't seem very elegant.

What I meant by "/" switches just shows my lack of scripting know-how. I was talking about how in html you can use "</font>" for example to turn off the previous "<font>" tag.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is that after the static graphic, the following text shares the same adjusted leading. I would like to apply the <p leading=2565> to the graphic only, then resume auto leading. Otherwise I have to manually apply it, which doesn't seem very elegant.

What I meant by "/" switches just shows my lack of scripting know-how. I was talking about how in html you can use "</font>" for example to turn off the previous "<font>" tag.

Okay, I see. Instead of the "<p leading=xxx>" tag, try using these tags instead: "<leading newsize=xxx><br>". And then after the graphic, use this tag: "</leading>".

Archived