Controlling line breaks with text rule??

graphikal

We are putting together a holiday card, with versioned text inside based on whether the recipient is an existing customer or not. I would like the text to be centered, and break logically and deliberately where I designate, not randomly. Can I control this, and if so, what is the best method? Again, there will be two distinct versions of copy, controlled by a text rule. If I create a text document seperately and point to that, will it hold the hard returns? Thanks in advance for any help - getting a bit frustrated trying to wrangle this.

Well, text never really breaks "randomly." The composition engine still works in a logical way. Although obviously with variable data you're going to get variable results.

I can't really tell you exactly what to do without a little bit more insight into the job, and possibly an example of a few records of input data and a mockup of what you want the corresponding output to look like. But you should just be able to use Formatted Text resources, one for each "distinct version of copy," with the line breaks set wherever you want, and have a rule which returns one resource or the other as appropriate.

Depending on how much the data is going to vary, you may also want to use the CopyfitLine function. But I would just start with a couple of Formatted Text resources and see how that works.

Thanks Dan. What I meant by "random" was that it just broke naturally against the margin, whereas I want to control at what words the line breaks occur, that's all.

Your "fomatted text" option was indeed the solution we were looking for, creating those resources with the variable text editor, and then applying a rule. I had never used that before. There is so much this program does that we only scratch the surface.

Thanks again for your help!! Greatly appreciated -

Archived