Problem with using Times New Roman emdash

zubi56

Hello,

I copied a letter from MS Word and pasted it in a new text box. Some things translated correctly, such as the size of the font and a few words that were bolded. However I'm having trouble with an emdash. I've copied the character from the Windows Character Map and all I get is a regular dash. Can someone let me know the trick for making a dash a longer emdash?

Thanks.

I copied a letter from MS Word and pasted it in a new text box. Some things translated correctly, such as the size of the font and a few words that were bolded. However I'm having trouble with an emdash. I've copied the character from the Windows Character Map and all I get is a regular dash.

Hmm, I'm not sure why that's happening. I think that the Windows clipboard and the Rich Edit control are conspiring to be "helpful" and substituting the character for a more "common" one. I'll investigate this more.

Can someone let me know the trick for making a dash a longer emdash?

Create a rule like so:

return "—";

Make sure to check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box. Then you can insert this rule wherever you need the "em" dash. You'll also need to make sure that the font you're using includes this glyph.

Dan,

The rule you created works. I can use that as a work-around. I just don't know why I can copy some characters from Windows Character Map and they work and others, (such as emdash), don't work.

Thanks for checking into this and let me know if you find anything.

MartyrSyx - I stole your sig.:D Thanks.

Archived