Crash / Stability Issues

Old, I know, but we are running FusionPro 5.8P2c on Mac G4, OSX 10.4.11. Whenever I work a Fusion Pro file to completion, if I don't quit Acrobat 8 entirely and restart, Acrobat will crash when I start to work my next Fusion Pro job. Sometimes it will crash when I select my Fusion Pro tools too quickly. Other than upgrading everything (it's already in the works, but a few months away) how can I stabilize the system to work more quickly?

Since no one answered, I'll post how I dealt with it. I moved the files I was working on off the server onto my desktop. Watching the icons, I did have to work slightly slower, but apparently going too fast created a lot of my crash issues; I was on to the next task before Fusion Pro caught up with my last adjustment. I hope everything is faster with the new Intel Macs, CS4 and FP 6.

I was getting similar crashes when working off the server initially (true for 5.8 and 6.0). For us, it wound up being capital letters and/or spaces in my file name for the working FP file. These characters were fine if the file was local, but would cause errors when working off the server. Using underscores and all lowercase letters solved our problem and is now a standard operating procedure. Any chance this could be your problem as well?

I've never had any problem with file names. That said, I do not use spaces, special character, or long names because or RIP cannot handle it. Perhaps you need to work less in preview mode? I do find it quite sluggish when previewing, especially if alot of coding or large images are used.

My file name was 10414_FC.pdf I can't think changing 'FC' to 'fc' would really make a difference.

Although it may not solve your particular problem, I must say that I was just as skeptical as you regarding upper vs lower case making a difference, but the proof was in the proverbial pudding (in my case).

I agree with jshobar regarding using preview mode sparingly.

My file name was 10414_FC.pdf I can't think changing 'FC' to 'fc' would really make a difference. Working s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w-l-y and off the desktop, not the server, was my only resolve.

While I can't say that it is the problem, Mac OSX is running off a BSD type kernel which does make a distinction in case. To the kernel, 10414_FC is not the same file name as 10414_fc. I think the default in Mac OSX is to ignore case but I suspect this is simply a table mapping of the ASCII codes since they likely wouldn't modify the kernel itself to accomodate this.

This may or may not cause stability issues. Working off a server could complicate as well. If the server is using a different file system it could cause confusion. I believe that Acrobat 8 was developed using the Carbon platform and not Cocoa. Again, this may or may not cause stability issues when interfacing with the kernel. There are tons of variables involved. All I can suggest is give it a try like esmith suggested. If it works, great. If not, no harm done.

Archived