Prefill Data fields

panthermac

I'm setting up some templates for a new customer doing some Biz-Cards w/us.

They have a collection of satellite offices, and I want to be able to prefill the address and phone info based on their "Store Number".

I currently have everything in an XLS file, and have been banging away at it a couple different ways, but am not making much headway.

I tried uploading everything as a "Location", and made their "Store Number" the data for "Optional1", but can't seem to get it to link/work w/ my template (and now there's like 2000 inactive locations...).

I want to allow my customer to choose from a pop-up menu from their stores (several hundred), and have (as much of the other data as I'm provided) prefill based on their selection.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this are appreciated!

Thanks.

- Mac

Have you thought about using Text Profile Attributes? Instead of each user having to select his/her location you could have this information pre-fill based on their user ID. You can set the fields to be locked so that the user cannot edit the information or leave it so that the user has the ability to change if/when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

Sorry for the delayed response!

It's only going to be the one user entering the information.

On their current website, she gets a drop down (that goes from 1-1000!), and can pick which 'location' she wants (as they're all uniquely numbered). This then slots the data into the positions for her, so saves some typing.

Changing from the presets will also be a requirement (as some folks have a designated facility, but work from their homes, so get an alternate address/phone combo).

I know I used to be able to do this in the OLD version of printables, just gotta figure out the best way w/ the new one, LOL!

Thanks for the help!

- Mac

Ouch!

I can only think of two ways you might be able to handle this but both options are going to take some time to set up...

Option 1 would be to create several fields within your template for Store Location, Address, Phone, etc. Once uploaded to the Manager, set these fields as dropdowns. You'll want to create a field within your template for each of the fields you want to have pre-filled. In the Manager, enter all of the different selections Store Locations/numbers into the first dropdown, create all of the remaining information (address, phone, etc.) into their remaining respective dropdowns in the Template Setup. From there you would hide all of the dropdowns EXCEPT the Store Location. Then use the UI rules tab to prefill the hidden dropdowns based on what is selected in Store Location.

Option 2 would be to create JavaScript rules in your template. You will still need to be sure you create fields in your template for Store Location. Set up rules for each field you want to pre-fill (ex. AddressRule) and use JS to return the correct information based on what is selected for Store Location. Then insert your rules into the proper text frame within your template, collect, and upload. The only dropdown menu you will need to configure for this option would be for Store Location. **Be sure that the text you enter in the dropdown for Store Location matches exactly what you have in your JS rule, case and all. If you enter the dropdown in lowercase but the rule has it in uppercase, the rule will not return the correct value.

Option 2 would be the easiest however if any of the pre-filled information changes frequently you'll need to revise the rules in the template, re-collect, and re-upload each and every time there is a change. If you believe you will be making a ton of changes I would probably recommend working with Option 1. It's a bit more tedious up front but will make changing information easier without having to edit your template each time.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Lisa!!!!

I'm very green when it comes to JavaScript, but... under option #2, you're saying it would just be one big long if-then statement based on the location number field?

e.g. user enters store number in "Store Number" field, and then through javascript rules (really long ones, I've got over 900 locations!), I'm able to pre-populate the remaining fields (or as many as I have data for).

If store # = 1, then 123 Mulberry Street, ... If #2, then... etc.

Just want to make sure I understand what you're suggesting.

Thanks again for the help!

- Mac

Hey Mac,

Yes, you're on the right track :)

You might be able to get away with only one rule for all pre-filled information if, let's say, only a line break/hard return or tab separates all the fields you're pre-filling. However if the fields appear in different places - for instance if the address appears on the left and the phone number appears on the right - you may need more than one JS rule to accomplish what you're looking to do. If you need more than one rule I would write the first rule and then copy it so you don't need to rewrite the entire rule all over again. All you'll need to do is change the value you are returning from "123 Main Street" to "123-456-7890" to return the phone.

:)

Thanks Lisa,

Yes, fields are in different places (we're doing business cards for this customer, don't know if blocking data is possible).

That sounds like a lot of work w/ so many store locations. Is there a way to use formatted text blocks to fill the fields (but then the user won't have the ability to type over and enter custom data in the fields, right?)

Thanks.

- Mac

Hi Mac,

Actually, it you need the ability to overwrite data in these fields then the suggestions I have given will not work. I think somewhere along the line of talking about this I thought you just needed the data to pre-populate - sorry, my brain has been shutting down lately.

What you want to do is use the QuickFill option from the Product Page in the Manager.

There is an option for "Corporate Addresses" but I'm not too familiar with it so you may want to consult with your CPM about documentation on using QuickFills however from my experience using the other Quickfill options you cannot pre-fill any information for your users ahead of time using this feature unless you log in as a user and place "test" orders.

Select the product, enter all the necessary information in the form field, and refresh the preview just as if you were placing a live order. Once you review the information is correct, add it to your cart. I believe as soon as the product is added to the cart, the Quickfill is created. Then just go back and do the same thing for the other locations.

It's still tedious but I believe it's the only way to have the information pre-filled before your client logs in. If your client is okay with entering all the information the first time an order is placed for a specific location, you can simply activate the Quickfill option for them and each time a user enters information for an order and adds it to his/her cart, it will be saved as a Quickfill.

I would recommend playing around with the feature by activating a demo item and testing it so you are well-equipped to answer any questions your client may have.

We use the "Employee List" for several customers who have business cards created. It works the same way. Our client enters the employee's information the first time around and when the item is added to the cart, it automatically creates a pre-fill record. Then whenever that employee needs a new card, the user selects his/her pre-fill record from the dropdown and clicks "apply". The user can change any of the information or can just refresh the preview before adding to the cart for a new order.

Let me know what happens - I'm curious to know if Corporate Addresses works the same way. :)

Archived