Multi-page, 1-sided scenario

esmith

I think this may have already been discussed in a post a few weeks back, but I don't think a resolution was reached.

I had a scenario this morning in which I needed to print 2 single-sided, 5.5x8.5 inch pages per record, imposed side by side, and telescoped for a variable number appearing on both pages. Assuming 100 records, I basically need pages 1 and 2 of records 1 and 51 to appear on the first sheet. I am attaching a PDF to show what I would like to set up in FPImposer.

I could not find an easy way to do this in any of three imposition applications: FPImposer appears to assume that all multi-page documents should back up or "step & repeat" one page per sheet; Preps doesn't allow for telescoping; and Crackerjack can't handle multiple-paged records multi-up AND stacked. Considering what these applications CAN do, this seems like something any of them SHOULD do.

Am I missing as easy workaround? (I wound up treating each page as a separate FP file and imposing them -- telescoped -- in separate files, but this will require more work in bindery.)

sample.pdf

I think this may have already been discussed in a post a few weeks back, but I don't think a resolution was reached.

I had a scenario this morning in which I needed to print 2 single-sided, 5.5x8.5 inch pages per record, imposed side by side, and telescoped for a variable number appearing on both pages. Assuming 100 records, I basically need pages 1 and 2 of records 1 and 51 to appear on the first sheet. I am attaching a PDF to show what I would like to set up in FPImposer.

I could not find an easy way to do this in any of three imposition applications: FPImposer appears to assume that all multi-page documents should back up or "step & repeat" one page per sheet; Preps doesn't allow for telescoping; and Crackerjack can't handle multiple-paged records multi-up AND stacked. Considering what these applications CAN do, this seems like something any of them SHOULD do.

Am I missing as easy workaround? (I wound up treating each page as a separate FP file and imposing them -- telescoped -- in separate files, but this will require more work in bindery.)

I looked at this a few minutes and I though Prep's Come 'n Go set would do this, but no dice..

Obviously, I have to ask.... what's the purpose? It would appear you're trying to do a combo run where 2 lots are side by side and when cut they get stacked into 2 lifts ( 1 for each lot?)..

If so, the only app I know that would possibly do this is Metrix...

Mark

Obviously, I have to ask.... what's the purpose? It would appear you're trying to do a combo run where 2 lots are side by side and when cut they get stacked into 2 lifts ( 1 for each lot?)..

Correct -- we were just looking for way to minimize cuts at the knife. Not uber critical, but I try to make my post-press guys happy when I can. I may look into Metrix, but the scenario doesn't come up often enough to justify a 4th imposition program. :rolleyes:

Archived