Feedback on Users/Groups setup

JaySignmasters

Hi there, I need some feedback on what I believe is the best/correct way of setting up a portal. Please let me know if I am on the right path. I am working on my first portal now, and want to make sure I have it all mapped out before importing the data. Here is the requirements:

- 17 categories for products

- 4-15 products in each category

- 185 regular users (100 of these users can order ALL products, 85 users can only order from several categories and no others)

- 4 supervisors

- Each regular user has its own individual shipping address that cannot be changed

- Each regular user has the same billing address that cannot be changed

- Supervisors can use any billing and shipping address and add their own as well as look at all the other orders out there

So my thought process is creating a login for each Regular User and each Supervisor. Then, put an address in for each regular user, adding the regular user to the corresponding address as the default shipping address.

Then put in a single billing address, selecting ALL the regular users to get this address as the default billing address.

My question is then how do the supervisors be able to look at everything?

And using the top requirements, how do I remove certain users from selecting some of these products/categories?

Thanks in advance, I apologize if this is confusing. I am just as confused:)

So my thought process is creating a login for each Regular User and each Supervisor. Then, put an address in for each regular user, adding the regular user to the corresponding address as the default shipping address.

Then put in a single billing address, selecting ALL the regular users to get this address as the default billing address.

My question is then how do the supervisors be able to look at everything?

And using the top requirements, how do I remove certain users from selecting some of these products/categories?

CliffNotes Version:

Suggest creating two groups. One for Regular Users and another for Supervisors. You can set permissions for the Shipping and Billing Addresses by group. This is done in Groups. You can also set Catalog Permissions by group, but this is done in the Catalog Editor. Addresses can be displayed to only one user and set as default. This is done under Shipping and Checkout > Addresses.

Set them up in this order: Groups, Users and Addresses.

It would be a lot easier to set up your users and addresses using Bulk Operations. Suggest manually entering a few records first. At least one user for each group. This way you will understand the Bulk Ops spreadsheet better.

Thank you David! I appreciate the response.

I am planning on doing bulk uploads for as much as I can. I spent several days working on testing the bulk uploads of most items, and I think the spreadsheets I have are on point.

I had a roadmap planned out for this but I just needed that clarification that I was on the right track. I truly appreciate the information you gave me!