Preview Images of Products

We have noticed that the preview images of products when viewed on a PC are horrible compared to when they are viewed on a MAC (which are crystal clear). Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to make the images clearer on a PC? Right now I am using PhotoShop's Save for Web Function, but I have tried saving the JPG and GIF several different ways and it doesn't seem to be any better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Most of our Clients are using PC's, especially laptops, so we really would like to find a solution.

Tina

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the same issue, although I have narrowed the issue a bit more. It seems that this is another IE issue. I have tested preview thumbnails in Firefox, Safari and IE 7 on Mac and PC (not sure if IE 8 is affected, I only test Firefox and Safari on Mac). The only one that shows up looking bad is in IE 7 on a PC.

My hunch is that is has to do with the uploaded thumbnail image being interpolated when downsized for the reduced views in the catalog and in the ordering/versioning page. When you click on the thumbnail on the order/version page to bring up the full size it looks fine, but the standard (reduced) thumbnails have broken up type and look horrible. I have run into similar issues in flash when non-integral pixel dimensions are used (40.5 pixels rather than 40 or 41). Please let me know if this is something being worked on, I have a potential client that is really having a problem with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

-IndexxPrep

Hello Aaron,

I spoke to Jeff Gilliam today to get an example of this and I viewed it in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8 and the only one I could see any degredation of quality in was IE 7.

That said it seems like it would be more of a Microsoft issue than our issue, but I will route this through engineering to see if there is anything that can be done.

Jeff Stehman

Technical Support

Archived